Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my friend about my dead betta's and she called me a fish killer since I killed 8 in the span of a year

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I think if you are new and it is petstore fish it isn't very easy to keep them alive, well let's face it, conditions in the store suck, after a while their immune system goes down so you need to be careful. I have "killed" 5, in less than a year. Out of all those at least 3 were from the first hours/days which is when most fish will die, after that it is smooth sailing, sometimes lol. One got a malfunctioned heater and the other had dropsy in which I literally had to put him to sleep.

Just remember you start somewhere. Also those bettas died knowing someone loved them, so I think it is better to accidentally kill 8 bettas and house them properly than let's say leave them in the cup. Honestly most people won't buy them and give them proper homes, they usually just fight them :(

Also identify what you are doing wrong each time. You can't succeed without failing after all.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
:( I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with your bettas. There are a lot of factors that can cause betta deaths. Some of them have to do with the conditions they're kept in at the pet store but others are things that we, the owners, can fix and prevent. To help ensure success with your bettas make sure you do the following:

1) Heat the tank. Bettas need temps around 78-80 F to thrive.
2) Change the water often. The smaller the tank, the more often it needs to be changed.
3) Feed good quality food and don't overfeed.

If you make sure to do these things, especially the water changes, your chances of success with bettas will go waaay up. Good luck!

EDIT: Kfry is right; fishkeeping is a learning process and losses are inevitable. Everyone, from the beginner, to the most seasoned aquarist has lost fish.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
:I your friend would hate me. i lost about.... 5 in a few months. not my fault, though. i had an outbreak of...... something. some users on here lost whole spawns of hundreds of babies. some lost entire sororities. doesn't make you a fish killer unless you totally neglected them. sometimes these things happen.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:( I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with your bettas. There are a lot of factors that can cause betta deaths. Some of them have to do with the conditions they're kept in at the pet store but others are things that we, the owners, can fix and prevent. To help ensure success with your bettas make sure you do the following:

1) Heat the tank. Bettas need temps around 78-80 F to thrive.
2) Change the water often. The smaller the tank, the more often it needs to be changed.
3) Feed good quality food and don't overfeed.

If you make sure to do these things, especially the water changes, your chances of success with bettas will go waaay up. Good luck!

EDIT: Kfry is right; fishkeeping is a learning process and losses are inevitable. Everyone, from the beginner, to the most seasoned aquarist has lost fish.
I have Romeo in a 2.5 gallon, feed him, well try to feed him twice a day and change his water every week

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
xShainax - It's possible your fish are succumbing to complications of being in a pet store. Sadly, it does happen. As kfry said, their immune systems are pretty compromised by the time we get them home and some of them never recover. Also, it's possible your other bettas died of old age. I know it might seem weird that a betta you've had less than a year can die of old age but some pet store bettas are a year old at least by the time they hit the shelves.

There are a lot of reasons why a betta dies and many times, it's not the owner's fault. Keep trying. We're rooting for you. :)

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
what Sakura said. i've had two deaths due to pet store issues. one was a week after i got him, i had to put him down. he was lethargic, had slimy stuff coming off him, dropsy......

the second was sudden. an adorable female. was in love with this girl. suddenly, she was dead. no reason, just dead. oddly, it was days after i lost my last of my guppy trio, who dropped dead one after the other for no reason. bad shipment, i guess...

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
xShainax - It's possible your fish are succumbing to complications of being in a pet store. Sadly, it does happen. As kfry said, their immune systems are pretty compromised by the time we get them home and some of them never recover. Also, it's possible your other bettas died of old age. I know it might seem weird that a betta you've had less than a year can die of old age but some pet store bettas are a year old at least by the time they hit the shelves.

There are a lot of reasons why a betta dies and many times, it's not the owner's fault. Keep trying. We're rooting for you. :)
I had a beautiful CT betta who lived with fin rot for a year and he finally succumbed to it. T^T

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Luimeril, yikes, that does sound like a bad shipment. I know you take really good care of your fish so if your girl died so suddenly, it had to have been pet store complications.

xShainax, don't give up!

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
thanks, Sakura. literally, she was fine that afternoon when i fed her, chillin' on her flower, dead that night when i went to bed. :I i was so upset! kinda scared me away from females from there, even though my Lulu is going on 3, i think. my first female. she's survived so much. .3.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Luimeril, yikes, that does sound like a bad shipment. I know you take really good care of your fish so if your girl died so suddenly, it had to have been pet store complications.

xShainax, don't give up!
Romeo is my latest project.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I'm like a fish chainsaw massacre over here then. Most of my deaths were due to jumping out (this is for wild bettas and my killifish) but a few have been from disease and some from me being stupid and not monitoring my parameters every so often.

We cannot buy a lot of common fish medications unless we have a vet prescription here. The only real internal parasite med that is easy to get is a poultry and pig wormer. It makes treating serious outbreaks of disease difficult so I usually end up having to euthanise most of sick fish.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm like a fish chainsaw massacre over here then. Most of my deaths were due to jumping out (this is for wild bettas and my killifish) but a few have been from disease and some from me being stupid and not monitoring my parameters every so often.

We cannot buy a lot of common fish medications unless we have a vet prescription here. The only real internal parasite med that is easy to get is a poultry and pig wormer. It makes treating serious outbreaks of disease difficult so I usually end up having to euthanise most of sick fish.
Mine died from the lack of knowledge

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
xShainax, it's part of the learning process. And so many people who start out in the hobby are given very bad information from pet store people. That you found this forum and you are seeking help means you are doing a good job trying to take care of your fish.

LittleBettaFish, in the states where it's easy to obtain fish meds, a lot fish die from medicine overdoses. If they don't die directly from it, they often contract diseases that have developed resistances to the medications.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
xShainax, it's part of the learning process. And so many people who start out in the hobby are given very bad information from pet store people. That you found this forum and you are seeking help means you are doing a good job trying to take care of your fish.

LittleBettaFish, in the states where it's easy to obtain fish meds, a lot fish die from medicine overdoses. If they don't die directly from it, they often contract diseases that have developed resistances to the medications.
I love your kitty on the aquarium. :) My cats are too fat to jump on the tops

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Haha, thanks. The window perch was taken so he thought he'd make his own. I'm sure the poor fish inside looked up and thought the sky was falling. "Heeeeelp!" That's actually our skinniest cat, but he's just so furry that he spreads out. I have had one of my fatter cats break one of the tops walking across it.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha, thanks. The window perch was taken so he thought he'd make his own. I'm sure the poor fish inside looked up and thought the sky was falling. "Heeeeelp!" That's actually our skinniest cat, but he's just so furry that he spreads out. I have had one of my fatter cats break one of the tops walking across it.
My first HM betta used to challenge the cats wen they would stare at him. Our largest cat is a hefty 16 lbs and his sister is a dainty 10 lbs

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
A lot of the time, bettas are sick from the shop. My first boy, Felix, died within 24 hours, and I did everything right.
I don't know how old Aphrodite was (about 3, I think, but she died after about 6 months). I had Athena for about a year and Apollo for much less. I've had my sorority 6 months and have lost two girls (one to unknown causes, possibly violence, one to the mysterious disease that claimed everybody else).

You'll find the most frustrating thing is when you do everything right and give your fish amazing lives and they only live a short life, whilst you'll have friends keeping them in unheated, dirty, tiny bowls that live for ages. Of course, it doesn't mean they are doing it right - they just got lucky.

Keep learning, keep trying. :)

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A lot of the time, bettas are sick from the shop. My first boy, Felix, died within 24 hours, and I did everything right.
I don't know how old Aphrodite was (about 3, I think, but she died after about 6 months). I had Athena for about a year and Apollo for much less. I've had my sorority 6 months and have lost two girls (one to unknown causes, possibly violence, one to the mysterious disease that claimed everybody else).

You'll find the most frustrating thing is when you do everything right and give your fish amazing lives and they only live a short life, whilst you'll have friends keeping them in unheated, dirty, tiny bowls that live for ages. Of course, it doesn't mean they are doing it right - they just got lucky.

Keep learning, keep trying. :)
The fish I was most upset about losing is a tie between my clown pleco and my purple and white elephant eared HM male

·
Registered
575 Posts
My first HM betta used to challenge the cats wen they would stare at him. Our largest cat is a hefty 16 lbs and his sister is a dainty 10 lbs
Hehe Kyon challenges my cats all the time. Poor Benny boy has had Kyon attack him through the glass when he's been minding his own business. My cats are too lazy to bother trying to catch fish when then know I'm gonna come along and feed them anyway.

I think fish loss is inevitable yet unfortunate. No matter how much research you do someone is going to get hurt somewhere along the line. I lost one tetra to having no tail, probably a birth defect. And one tetra to a bout of white spot which I was totally ill prepared for and didn't detect until they already had it for a few days! On the 2nd bout of white spot (I get one every time I go to pets at home for fish and will no longer be going there :evil:) I was much quicker and had no casualties at all. I feel awful because my inlaws betta has terrible fin rot but they won't do anything about it :cry: fish is just a fish to them. And he's a gorgeous boy too.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts