Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I keep in a super planted low tech 6 gallon tank? It has 1,5W/G ilumination and a 30GPH filter. Oh yea, it also has over 40 ceramic rings in the filter.

·
Registered
462 Posts
1 I'll say! in my opinion you need at least 10 gallons to start a sorority, because you need 4 or more females to do it.
If you put 4 females in a 6 gallon that to me will be overstocking but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
There's no doubt you have the filtration to cope with the bioload of the extra females, but Micho is right. You need a really good footprint to have more than one girl in such a small amount of water.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Bombalurina is right. that is not even a gallon are you positive those are the measurements?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
All the above posts are correct. the amount of water that the tank will hold (given that the measurements are correct) will be 2.8 liters. which comes out to not being a full gallon due to 1 US. gallon being 3.8 liters, and Imperial gallons being 4.5 liters. meaning that you will have a 1/2 gallon in imperial measurements, and 3/4 gallons in US measurements. In My Honest Opinion this tank will be too small to hold a Female Betta Splendens comfortably, long term. there are multiple reasons why, fluctuation temperatures, hard to keep heated, little space to swim comfortably, little space for optimal decorations, water parameters will be unstable, and water parameters will reach lethal, heights

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Trust me hun =D 8-10 gallons MINIMUM. I have TEN gals in a 40 right now :lol: I had 4, then 5 in the 10 gallon... some people get away with more than that of course, with super dense coverage, hidey holes, floating plants, middle plants and bottom plants... live, fake, silk, fabric, etc. Females are just as (if not more so) aggressive as males, and can definitely do damage to each other if not given a larger space to scout territory and stay away from each other now and then.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Mo is correct. Another way to tell is to multiply all your cm measurements together then divide by 1000. 35x8x10 = 2800. Divided by 1000 = 2.8 litres.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
one gallon is....16 cups? am I right? -bit tired- that's how I measure bins and such that have no measurement on the sides or bottom. I use a measuring cup or bucket with measurement on the bottom (mine is 3 gallons) and count accordingly

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Are you sure you are giving the right measurements? If so, it is still a no, there is not enough space for them to get away from each other.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I prefer a 10 gallon minimum for 4 gals at least :) I'd get away with 6 in a 10 gallon, but then I upgraded to a 20, and now a 40. My Rose, is proof how dangerous it can be in a sorority, even in a large tank! even the best set ups can result in problems, so it's definitely important to have everything covered 10 times over... We just want to make sure you have a "smooth as possible" sorority :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think the OP has been multiplying the dimensions of the tank, but then dividing by 100 instead of 1000. But yeah, that's about 2.8 litres, which is really only suitable for short term housing. (My boy's QT tank is a little bigger than that.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts