Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I'm making some plans for a 10-gallon tank, and I have a question. The tank in question will have a LOT of plants, so I'm wondering whether I should include one hide or two. The betta will be the only animal in the tank.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

note: by a "hide", I mean like a decoration in which he can hide.

·
Super Moderator
2,387 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums.

The quick answer is "yes".
The reason is say that is there are fish that use their hides, there are fish that test out their hides and never use is and there are fish that look at you like you're crazy when you put in a hide for them.
For example, my Saffron has a terracotta pot and a coconut cave. I've seen him swim in and right back out of his pot and I've seen him in his cave once or twice but it's the last place I'll look for him. If I can't find him, I know he's probably stuffed himself behind the sponge filter. When my Mishi was sick, he was guaranteed to be in the pot.

I always like to have at least one hide in an aquarium whether the animal uses it or not, it just give it that habitat look, but that's just me.
I say, put in something you like and see if he likes it. Progress from there.

·
Super Moderator
2,798 Posts
I've had some use hides, and I've had some that never have. Mine mostly use them when they are sick, but I've had a couple who just seemed to like having a hide to go into.

I generally will keep one hide in the tank and just fill the rest of the space with plants. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer about how many hides should be used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts