1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd feed them twice a day, 3-5 pellets at each feeding

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
How large are the pellets? Makes a big difference if they are 0.5 mm or 2 mm.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
What tail type is your betta? Certain tail types (especially DTs) get swimbladder disease easily so their diet has to be adjusted.

Why is that?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Well I figure I'd post here on what we were talking about previously.

SBD is not tied to specific tail types at all and in fact many Double Tail bettas are unaffected by their natural deformity (twin lobes is a deformity that we keep breeding). The only reason that some Doubles are affected is because their bodies are inherently shorter which theoretically squishes the organs together causing the swim bladder to be shortened or pushed against wrongly when the fish eats; this can cause issues with the swim bladder but in no way is it Swim Bladder DISEASE, just swim bladder issues.

Like humans, not all fish have the same anatomy and even a double tail who has a longer body can sometimes have issues with constipation which can therefore create some issues with the swim bladder if their GI tract is constantly swollen with a food blockage. And then you could have a DT with a shorter body who would look like he should have problems but he doesn't; it's all about the genes and how well they are taken care of as well as which foods they are eating.

Swim Bladder DISEASE is an illness, an infection of the swim bladder which can cause anything form sinking (swim bladder can no longer keep air and fills with fluids) to floating (cannot release excess air) along with twirling or rolling. Infections should be treated with antibiotics and generally come on quickly whereas swim bladder ISSUES tend to be life long.

Anyway, back on topic; I don't count my pellets but rather feed m fish until their tummies are expanded and round. Not terribly fat but just full looking. Yes, their stomachs are the size of their eyes but all stomachs are made to expand. I only feed my fish once a day for the adults (babies get twice since they need more), if you want to feed twice a day that is also fine. Also you will know when your fish is getting full, generally he will no longer be eating enthusiastically but that doesn't ring true with all fish of course; each has their own personalities and you'll just have to observe them over time! ^_^

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yea I do the above, feed so his tummy looks nicely full, like he has had a good feed, but not to the point that he looks uncomfortable or about to explode. I think with Betta's being different sizes, and pellets varying in size as well what is right for one is not always right for another.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Exactly as bB said, just like my older boys don't eat as much as my younger babies do. Once a day with around 6-10 pellets for my older boys and then for the youngin's they get twice or three times a day, around 15 pellets each time but those are also .4 mm pellets which means they are very tiny. The average pellet size is 1 mm, Omega One, NLS Betta and Aqueon are all 1mm approx.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Why is that?
Speaking from personal experience
Well I figure I'd post here on what we were talking about previously.

SBD is not tied to specific tail types at all and in fact many Double Tail bettas are unaffected by their natural deformity (twin lobes is a deformity that we keep breeding). The only reason that some Doubles are affected is because their bodies are inherently shorter which theoretically squishes the organs together causing the swim bladder to be shortened or pushed against wrongly when the fish eats; this can cause issues with the swim bladder but in no way is it Swim Bladder DISEASE, just swim bladder issues.

Like humans, not all fish have the same anatomy and even a double tail who has a longer body can sometimes have issues with constipation which can therefore create some issues with the swim bladder if their GI tract is constantly swollen with a food blockage. And then you could have a DT with a shorter body who would look like he should have problems but he doesn't; it's all about the genes and how well they are taken care of as well as which foods they are eating.

Swim Bladder DISEASE is an illness, an infection of the swim bladder which can cause anything form sinking (swim bladder can no longer keep air and fills with fluids) to floating (cannot release excess air) along with twirling or rolling. Infections should be treated with antibiotics and generally come on quickly whereas swim bladder ISSUES tend to be life long.

Anyway, back on topic; I don't count my pellets but rather feed m fish until their tummies are expanded and round. Not terribly fat but just full looking. Yes, their stomachs are the size of their eyes but all stomachs are made to expand. I only feed my fish once a day for the adults (babies get twice since they need more), if you want to feed twice a day that is also fine. Also you will know when your fish is getting full, generally he will no longer be eating enthusiastically but that doesn't ring true with all fish of course; each has their own personalities and you'll just have to observe them over time! ^_^
I'm just saying be careful. It all depends on the betta fish.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I'm just saying be careful. It all depends on the betta fish.
Right, I know that :) we're just saying that it's not tied to the fins, it just happens that some DT's have more issues than others but that's not to say all DT's have those issues, make some sense? Not berating you or anything since you are mostly correct just the wording can be a little confusing to some who don't know as much, you know?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Oh, sorry, lilnaugrim. I quoted you in there because I agree with you. :) I wasn't trying to argue
I know! Nor was I! I'm speaking more for clarifying what you meant with your post before is all. Just wanted to give a more in depth response but we're both basically saying the same thing, just remember it's not "tied to the fin type" as you said though because that can confuse people is all.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Thank you lil for explaining why that may be the case.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
i agree that it depends on the size of the fish and the age of the fish.

I feed my girl 1 OO pellet twice a day (i believe she was born with some sort of swim bladder problem because if i feed her more than that she gets bloated). I feed my two boys 3 pellets once a day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.