Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is finally done cycling! Ammonia and nitrites are consistently 0ppm, although nitrates are way up there if I don't do a water change.

It may be a a few days to a couple of weeks before the livestock I want come in. In the meanwhile, should I keep adding the same amount of ammonia I did during the cycle (bringing it up to 4ppm every evening) or should I reduce the amount of ammonia I add to the tank now that the bacteria are established?

If the latter, how much ammonia should I be adding?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Pretty sure you just add at the same level until you are ready for fish, but you'll need a large water change before you add fish as Nitrates will be up by then :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
My tank finished cycling before I was ready for my fish. I dosed ammonia every other day, up to about 2 ppm. Before adding my fish, I did two 50% water changes--one the day before I got my fish, and one the morning of. I was only planning to stock one betta in a 10 gallon. If you were going to stock heavier, you may want to dose the ammonia higher.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I'm just planning to have a betta and an amano shrimp in my 6 gallon. I think dosing upto 2ppm should be okay. It looks like I might be able to pick up my boy tomorrow! Fingers crossed. So excited!

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Was going to say, I'm in the same position, new cycled 10g with no fish and from what I've been told and found out, your bacterial colony (given adequate room) will grow or shrink to handle the ammonia levels.

I dosed 5ppm to cycle my tank and now I can dose 5ppm (2ml for my 10g) and have it gone in about 48 hrs. So as Straubery said, just keep dosing every couple days, 2 ppm should be fine as that's what you cycled with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.