Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After I let my boyfriend know our fish Gandalf as a new heater, he got curious about how much I had spent on our fishes (Jose died 2 yrs, then we got Gandalf Jan 2018). We also had bought a new filter recently because old one started making loud noises and couldn't figure out why.

Total came to somewhere between $160-200. I'd argue this isn't a high price tag for my happiness.

We also got into a conversation about amortization and allocation of cost between the two fishes since we didn't get a new tank for Gandalf, we are using Jose's old tank. Jose after Jose Batista. We are CPAs (accountants).

Our spending are as follows:
- 5 Gallon Fish tank (incl. old filter, gravel, decorations, food): $50
- Moss balls x 2: $10
- New heater: $30
- New filter: $25
- Various live plants (great deal from aquarium club member): $5
- grindal & white worms: $20
- New NLS food tub: $15
- Snails: $10

TOTAL: $165

Any who, then I got curious about how much people usually spend on a betta fish. How much money have you spent?

·
Registered
80 Posts
LOL Oh no... I dont even want to know but I'm certain more than $165. Hard to tell too because I've sold livestock or unused equipment/supplies and have recouped *some* of it back. I'm sure I've spent close to $1k on aquarium-related things in the course of my lifetime. I used to be into saltwater aquariums so this goes beyond betta fish, but yeah. lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL I feel better already. I'm sure there are those out there who are super efficient at getting stuff for cheap and find their way around things and end up costing much less than this too though.

If that's you, we all probably could use your advice...

I've been on a mad spending/shopping spree. I'm afraid it won't stop here though I feel somewhat satisfied with where I am with my tank. I want to eventually upgrade from 5 gal to 10 gal but that won't be until we purchase a house next year. I'm itching though, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ha while I'm about to spend 150+ on a new setup, and I've already got the tank and heater. Fishkeeping is expensive XP

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I might sell some white and grindal worms when I don't know what to do with them (as I only have one betta) - to recoup some of the costs until I hit $0 then I can rub that in my boyfriend's face. :)

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
LOL I feel better already. I'm sure there are those out there who are super efficient at getting stuff for cheap and find their way around things and end up costing much less than this too though.

If that's you, we all probably could use your advice...

I've been on a mad spending/shopping spree. I'm afraid it won't stop here though I feel somewhat satisfied with where I am with my tank. I want to eventually upgrade from 5 gal to 10 gal but that won't be until we purchase a house next year. I'm itching though, if you know what I mean.
I currently have 4 tanks. 10 gal, 5 gal, 3 gal and 2.5 gal, but am lusting after a 20 gal long... The thing is that I just spent over $100 on the 10 gal and a stand for a 55 gal so I would have somewhere to put the 10 and 5 gal. In order to get the 20 gal long I'd have to split the 10 gal between 2 of my betta, take down the 2.5 gal, move the 3 gal where the 2.5 is, put the 10 gal where the 3 gal is, and put the 20 gal where the 10 and 5 gal are, and I'd need money, because I don't have a fliter or heater that would work with a 20 gal. The tank isn't too expensive, the equipment is.

Money and space... I just need money and space LOL.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My best advice is to check local clubs or craigslist for anything and everything. Sure it might be used but people buy aquarium kits and equipment all the time and completely give up shortly after and sell for a huge bargain. Or wait for the Petco $1/gallon sale if you are near one. I love doing both of those things. lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I currently have 4 tanks. 10 gal, 5 gal, 3 gal and 2.5 gal, but am lusting after a 20 gal long... The thing is that I just spent over $100 on the 10 gal and a stand for a 55 gal so I would have somewhere to put the 10 and 5 gal. In order to get the 20 gal long I'd have to split the 10 gal between 2 of my betta, take down the 2.5 gal, move the 3 gal where the 2.5 is, put the 10 gal where the 3 gal is, and put the 20 gal where the 10 and 5 gal are, and I'd need money, because I don't have a fliter or heater that would work with a 20 gal. The tank isn't too expensive, the equipment is.

Money and space... I just need money and space LOL.
This thread is beginning to sound like betta addiction support group.

I just told my boyfriend about this thread and he asked for the website. If he finds out I want to upgrade to 10 gal, I won't succeed, darn it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm sure I spent way more than I reasonably should have. No receipts, but guestimating....

I lucked out and got my tank for $10. (considering it's $120 brand new and came with everything it would have come with, besides the light which stopped working, had I gotten it new it was a steal).
New light: roughly $15 ish.
Heater: $10
Plants: $40-ish
Gravel: $10-ish
Charcoal for the filter: $10-ish
Snail/Shrimps/various other live cleaning crew: If I'm counting just for Loki, around $50. If we're talking for Peaches (my betta before) then we're looking at closer to $75-80.
Food/Bucket/Water Conditioner/Vacuum/Misc: $50-ish
Total: $195-225

Things that I bought and ended up either replacing or not using:
Previous smaller tanks: $40
5 gallon filter and cartilages: $20-ish
Air stone, pump, and tubing: $20-ish
Total: $275-305

·
Registered
48 Posts
On just my betta
20 for a 3.5 gal top fin tank (on sale)
18.99 for heater
4 for a sponge filter
6.99 for a tetra air pump
6.99 for java moss
5 for gravel
2.99 for pellets
4.99 on bloodworms
1.29 for plastic plant
3.29 for betta hammock
8.99 for large marimo ball
7.99 for the betta itself
20 on shrimp

I don't want to do the math :)
I've prob spent over 300 on aquariums tho

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On just my betta
20 for a 3.5 gal top fin tank (on sale)
18.99 for heater
4 for a sponge filter
6.99 for a tetra air pump
6.99 for java moss
5 for gravel
2.99 for pellets
4.99 on bloodworms
1.29 for plastic plant
3.29 for betta hammock
8.99 for large marimo ball
7.99 for the betta itself
20 on shrimp

I don't want to do the math :)
I've prob spent over 300 on aquariums tho
I want to get a betta hammock. Does your betta use it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ehhhhhhhhhhhh I don't want to think about it. 5 gallon & 10 gallon tanks including 5 single males & 1 single female, a 10 gallon sorority with 5 more females, a mix of planted/substrates & artificial plants with ornaments, some bubble wands, all LED lighting, adjustable heaters & adjustable filters, custom airline & valve setups, frozen foods with pellets on the side...

Then there's the water/substrate vacuums, buckets & hosing & containers & 3 holding tanks for water changes (ranging from 1 gallon to 2.5 gallons), nursery/isolation tanks, monthly Amazon shipments of almond leaves & Stress Coat+, salt, extra foods...

Then there's the first aid kit with Betta Revive bottles, General Cure, Fungus Cure, methylene blue, ph care fluids.

Hell. The fish themselves are usually the cheapest part, unless you buy from an overseas breeder & pay for a trans-shipper. You can easily drop $120 just for a Betta that way. I don't even want to know what I've spent, but it keeps me from buying more guitars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.