Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if a single male betta fish would do good in a 20gal planted tank (with heater and filter of course), by himself? Would he be afraid or stressed by too much room? I want to spoil my next fish kid but idk how much is too much?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My largest tanks have only been 10g (so far....), but I've never had a betta react poorly to the space. The key thing is you don't want to have a lot of empty space- you should pack your tank with tons of plants. Bettas really enjoy a heavily-planted tank, and IMO most stressed-betta problems in larger tanks occur because many people underestimate the amount of plants needed to really fill in a larger tank.

If you can post a picture of your tank, that can help us give advice about whether it's probably planted heavily enough. If you don't have it yet, I am sure we can rustle up some pictures of tanks that are nicely planted to use as examples for you to keep in mind as you plan to get it set up. :)

That said, some bettas just don't do well in larger tanks, even if heavily planted and set up/maintained perfectly. I've never encountered this myself but it can happen- most bettas are raised in pretty small containers most of their life until purchased, and some just can't seem to handle that transition. So make sure you have a backup plan just in case.

·
Super Moderator
18,863 Posts
I've never had a Betta alone in a 20 long; just Betta-based community tanks with small, peaceful fish like Rasbora and Habrosus and Pygmy Cory.

I cannot image that most Betta would have a problem living in one alone. But, as Rana said, there are those that cannot live in such large tanks. I've had 3-5. Interestingly those have been in the last 2-3 years. Never before. So keep a 2.5 on hand as often that is the largest in which these particular Betta were relaxed. I've had them uncomfortable in equally planted 10 and five gallon tanks.

So sorry about Wolfgang.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was wondering about this too! I was going to get my boy Blue a 20 gallon, but I’m not sure he would like the space, tbh.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I keep my male betta in a 72 gallon tank. Granted, mine is not alone BUT bettas are naturally solitary fish, so being alone should not be an issue. To answer your question, no he should not be afraid or stressed because of the amount of space he has. As stated above, just ensure you have lots of coverage for him so he feels safe. The only issue I can see with a "big" tank could be the betta's inability to efficiently reach the top of the tank for air (if you don't oxygenate the water).
I think it's also a fair statement to say that each fish and situation can produce a different outcome. So just because it worked for somebody else, doesn't mean it will work for you. But, that doesn't mean you can't try! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts