Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lucky that my betta (Fishee) is not picky about food and gladly eats pellets designed for bettas. but I am not sure how much to feed him. as per directions I had been feeding him 4 pellets every other day. but he seems to be getting constipated and I have reduced his diet to 2 pellets every other day and occasional thawed frozen peas. If I am to go by the food size should equal fish's eye size rule of thumb then I can't feed him more than one pellet a day... because the one pellet I feed him is in fact the same size as his eye...

I am really confused and wondering how big his feeding portions be?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
stop the pea treatment, dont ever do the pea treatment. I swear I'm going to strangle the person that started that for bettas. Bettas are carnivores and dont have the right stuff to process plant matter. It actually causes bloating more than helping it.
Split your four pellets at once to 2 pellets twice a day. If he still is getting bloated and constipated try feeding frozen daphnia or treating epsom salt (1 tsp per gallon).

·
Registered
420 Posts
I would recommend that you soak the pellets in a glass of water from the tank for about 10 minutes before feeding. This will allow the pellets to swell to their full size before entering the betta’s digestive track. This also will also allow you to better gauge just how many pellets you should feed at a time. The amount of swelling among pellets differs from brand to brand.

Please keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts