Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

Is there an upper limit on how many times per week one does a complete tank cleaning? If I were really bored and wanted to change the water completely every other day would the betta be harmed?

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I clean all my jars out 100% daily. I use smaller containers (less than a gallon) since I have a lot of fish. It keeps them very healthy.

IMO you can never have too much filtration or water changes.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
No problem!

If I move out of state I'll miss the mountains lol.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It depends on the size and if it has a filter. Anything under 1 gallon needs a 100% water change once a day. 1-2 gallons need a 50% and a 100% water change a week. If your tank is 5 gallons or more and has a filter/is cycled, you don't want to do 100% water changes. If they aren't, you'd have to do partial water changes once a week with a 100% water change every other week or so depending on the size of the tank and how stocked it is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack's tank is 2.5 gallons with a filter, but I still remove him and clean it thoroughly once a week and change out water every other day or every third day, depending on how it looks.

I just wondered if he would be harmed if he were in the first tank (a one gallon tank, unfiltered) and I wanted to do a total change every other day.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I never do a 100% water change. Destroys my cycled tank. I change 1 gallon a week out of my 5 gallon.
If your tank is properly cycled, a 100% change should not harm it. After all, there is very little BB in the water. As long as your filter remains in a bit of dirty water whilst you do the change, there is no harm whatsoever in doing a 100% change in a cycled tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.