Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have Royale, my veil tail betta, in a 1 gallon tank. Here's a pic of it:

I am wondering how often I should be changing the water in his tank and how much water should be changed. How often should I be changing the water in Roy's tank?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Do you have a heater for him? A 1 gallon is very susceptible to ammonia buildup so 100% changes at least every other day are essential. If you want to be doing fewer water changes, I would highly recommend upgrading to a 3 gallon tank or larger. Your fish would probably be happier with more space also :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on getting him a 2.5 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium kit. It comes with a filter cartridge and filter, lighted hood, water conditioner, fish flakes (which I won't be using as I feed him pellets). I plan on buying it with Black Aquarium Sand, live plants, a mirror for him to play with, and a thermometer. My mom won't let me buy the heater no matter how often I tell her I need it. It stays between 75 and 80 degrees by itself. I won't be able to buy it however till christmas. So would changing 50% of the water every Wed. and 100% of the water every Saturday be fine?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I plan on getting him a 2.5 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium kit. It comes with a filter cartridge and filter, lighted hood, water conditioner, fish flakes (which I won't be using as I feed him pellets). I plan on buying it with Black Aquarium Sand, live plants, a mirror for him to play with, and a thermometer. My mom won't let me buy the heater no matter how often I tell her I need it. It stays between 75 and 80 degrees by itself. I won't be able to buy it however till christmas. So would changing 50% of the water every Wed. and 100% of the water every Saturday be fine?
I would add another 100% change, on Monday. And up the one on Wednesday to 100% also. The tank isn't going to cycle so there's no harm in replacing the water completely. And since you're in Houston I guess the heater isn't really necessary, but it would be nice to get one eventually to have on hand just in case you have a snap of cold weather at some point :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good idea with the heater. I just wish my mom would let me just get the heater. I guess I could try that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts