Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, hope you are having a great day so far!

I am currently looking into getting a planted 32 gallon long aquarium (100cm by 35cm by 35cm) and before I do I want to know really how good of an idea trying to get some other species in with my betta. I'm currently thinking

10 harlequin rasboras
10 ember tetras
10 panda cories
probably some shrimp and snails as well.

Too much? I really don't like overstocking..

·
Super Moderator
23,822 Posts
http://aqadvisor.com/ tends to be conservative but it's a good reference.

You have all three levels covered so I would not consider it overstocking as long as there's enough oxygenation. I like bubble wands along the back of the tank and so, it seems, do my Betta. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I checked on aq advisor prior, but just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be too much stress on the betta or shoals. As for oxygen I was thinking about using a sponge filter, would I need one so oversized that it would take away from the tank? As well as would this provide enough oxygen?

·
Super Moderator
23,822 Posts
With places for the Betta to rest and remove himself from the action all should be fine. I have found 65%-75% planting works best.
Plant Flower Plant community Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant

If you can find it, this is a really good filter MARINA Aquarium Power Filter, 10-gal - Chewy.com. I have searched a long time for a filter I felt was perfect for all of my tanks. I do swap out the original media for ceramic rings and a sponge.

I am big on even filtration. In a tank 40" wide I would use two of any power/HOB instead of one for more efficiency. For sponge filters I'd be sorely tempted to use three spread across the back. I should note I'm not a big fan of sponge filters in community tanks.

Bubble wands really do seem to help. I like mine with blue "moonlights" so I can watch my nocturnal and shy fish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will definitely keep that in mind. I plan on buying just a few crystal red shrimps and breed them to a nice colony before adding the fish, so I’ll have some time to plan the scape out!

·
Super Moderator
23,822 Posts
I almost forgot!

IME, this is the safest and best way to add new residents if you float the bag: Shut off lights, float bags and leave lights off for several hours after releasing. This allows the new residents to scope out their new home in peace. It also prevents the Betta from becoming frustrated by fish that won't leave his territory no matter how many times he flares, pecks bag, etc.

If you haven't had shrimp before, the Neocaridina are easier to keep than the Caridina. The latter are more easily stressed and sensitive to parameter shifts. I've had the most luck with my Neos when I waited until the tank was 3-4 months past a completed cycle.

In the tank pictured I had a breeding colony of Painted Red Neos....and some Orange Dwarf Crayfish and Dwarf Brazos Crayfish. You can see on of the CPO in the center bottom. The red streak on the left was my HMPK, Clooney.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice on shrimps and adding! I feel like all fish keepers have kept shrimp and that is me included, I'll definitely think on what type of shrimp I want to keep in there and make sure I have the right stuff to help them thrive. I have actually wanted some sort of crayfish for the longest time, would I be able to add 1 or 2 to this system?

·
Super Moderator
23,822 Posts
I had six in a 30" wide aquarium (20 gallons) with no issues. I loved watching them scuttle to a good hiding place after they grabbed a piece of Hikari Crab Cuisine. If I knew one was in a Cholla log I would drop the food right in front and, like a Trapdoor Spider, they'd pop out and pop back in with the pellet. :)

Make sure it's the Cambarellus (dwarf) species.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright I'll look into that!

Sorry this is kind of unrelated but I noticed that one of my cherry shrimps in one of my other tank has eggs and I'm wondering if a small piece of pvc piping or something similar will works a place for her to lay the eggs?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Cherry shrimp don’t lay eggs, they’ll actually hold onto them until the shrimplettes are ready to hatch. It’s a lot of fun watching them wavy their pleopods where the eggs are held to help oxygenate the eggs 👍

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This thread is somewhat dead but I figured I would ask here before starting a new one.

So basically I have an albino bristlenose pleco in a 10 gal tank. It was was the classic newbie taking advice from petsmart. Course now I know that it isnt a large enough home for him.
Do you think there would be any problems between him and some of the other fish, Specifically the cories? He eats right next to the black kuhli loachesI have and doesnt seem aggressive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts