Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old (10+ yrs?) 5 gallon glass aquarium that used to belong to my mother. I inherited it when she could no longer care for it & it's been out in my attached garage for many years.

I'm worried if it would be safe to use? I've read about brittle glass & failing seals & I get nervous.

Should I pitch it or could it be safe?

·
Registered
980 Posts
If it's only about 10-15 years old you should be fine. Make sure there are no rusted spots inside the glass, some older fish tanks used metal rims on the top and bottom and those can be a problem. To test it fill it with water half way and leave it for 12 hours. Then add the other half and leave it for another 12 hours. You should set it on a stone surface outside for all of this, so you can watch for leaks and if it is you won't be messing up your house. If there are no leaks, go ahead and clean it and you're fine. It you're still worried about leaks, leave it longer and change the temp in the tank. A colder tank is more likely to leak, so add a bucket of ice to a full tank and watch it for another 12 hours. Longer if you feel you're STILL not sure.

If none of that works, you can always scrape the inner seals and redo them.... Or toss it. But if there are no leaks after a couple of days like this, you should be good.

Clean with very hot water and if you must, vinegar, but no chemicals. Just lots of scrubbing!

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I am using tanks that I got back in the early 70's...lol.....still holding water....I did have to re-seal a few of them....And the metal rim tanks that ooze a bit of rust has never caused any problems for me-looks kinda ugly-but generally it is harmless at those levels.

As MollyJean posted-do a 24h leak test-I set mine up outside on a level surface fill to the top and wait....depending on where I got the tank-I may or may not add some bleach for the 24h leak test, rinse well and add a little extra dechlorinator for the finial fill or allow it to sit in the sun for a few hours.
If it has lots of mineral deposits or tannin stains I like to use vinegar and if its a glass tank I will use a razor blade on the tough spots-For acrylic I use acrylic algae scrubbers on the tough spots.

Personally I would clean it up, do the 24h leak test and use it.....look forward to pic....

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! We're still having cold temps here but I should be able to set it out in the garage. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts