Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had at least a 10gallon tank for all my fish. This is the first time I've had anything in a 5.5gal. It's water-change-weekend, and usually before I do water changes I vacuum the gravel. However, my gravel vacuum requires there be a certain depth of water for it to be able to work correctly, my 5.5gal is too short for it to work. Any tips on cleaning the gravel bed to get the poop/waste up before I do a water change? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I just have a smaller gravel vacuum for my little tanks. A lot of people use a turkey baster.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
i use a turkey baster for my smaller tanks. Works perfectly. If its a 100% water change and im cupping my fish, then I sometimes take the tank into my kitchen and wash the gravel by hand -- taking some water and putting it in the tank and like moving my hand around in the gravel and then dumping the water out. I do this a few times. I only really do this like once a month or so, when I do large cleanings on my tank to make sure all the decor is clean as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a small gravel vacuum (Top Fin), and clean my 5.5 gallon once a week(50%). The gravel vacuum is the perfect size and I use it for my 10 gallon too.
I also have the betta waste remover turkey baster, I just use it to feed my shrimp. I used to use it when I had my girl in a 1 gallon to pick up waste or food.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I used a turkey baster on my 2.5 gallon and 3 gallon tanks. It worked well. Took a bit longer, but it was effective.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You can tilt the tube sideways too, if that helps. I have to do that in mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts