Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
your female isn't bloated. She has dropsy - which is a sign of organ failure. Dropsy does not always appear with pineconing scales. Another form is a super "bloated" stomach.

I would add Epsom Salt at one teaspoon per gallon of water. Dissolve it in a cup of tank water first, then over the course of any hour slowly add it to the tank.

If you can also get Seachem Kanaplex. It cannot be found at petsmart/or any other chain store. You have to get it at a local fish store.
http://aqua.seachem.com/SDLocator/DealerLocatorStart.php
use the above link to find out which stores have Seachem Products near you and then call around and see if they have Kanaplex in stock.

As you might know, dropsy is not curable. But that doesn't mean that you don't try.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Dropsy is not an illness. It is symptom of organ failure.

1) I would separate her to be safe.
2) I said above that dropsy is incurable because it is a sign of organ failure. You cannot cure organ failure. If she is eating then I would continue feeding her normally.
3) I said in my first post to get Seachem Kanaplex. That is the medicine you want. There is no guarantee but its the best med to get.
4) Dropsy means organ failure - this can be caused by a bunch of different things. The most common is usually bacterial infection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts