Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! my dragon scale betta has a discolored white patch above his left eye and on his dorsal fin. it started around 2 3 months ago and I didn't think anything of it at first but now it's getting worse! it looks swollen now and I went to petsmart to have them tell me what they thought it was and they just gave me some bettafix. I put it in the tank and it didn't do anything so I did a full water change and put some sea salt in his tank because I didn't have any aquarium salt at the moment. it's been about 3 days since I put the salt in and I see no difference in his fungus or whatever is on his head. what should I do? I don't want him to die and i've had him for around 6 months now and I was planning on getting him a bigger tank soon. I need like a professional opinion here on what I should do. heres a pic. let me know what you think I should do guys! thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read that non iodized sea salt is basically the same thing should I just use that? and how much would I for a 1 1/2 gal tank? I went to petco and petsmart looking for the jungle fungus eliminator but I guess it's discontinued... -_- I had him in the sea salt for 3 days and I didn't notice any difference was it just because I didn't put enough in? I put a half of a tsp in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read that sea salt is pretty much exactly the same as aquarium salt and that it works great as long it's it's non iodized! I would just use aquarium salt but I don't have any at the moment. so I add 1 tsp everyday until it reaches 3 over the course of 3 days? or I add 1 tsp throughout the day until it reaches 3 tsp??? and ever since I got him he's been in a non heated, non filtered 1 1/2 gallon tank so that's probably why he has got whatever is on him. D: my house is always at or around 76 degrees though and he seems to be fine with the temp. I DO plan on upgrading him to a 3 gallon filtered, heated tank I just hope he actually makes it. :O... here are some more pics just to point out how it's protruding off of his head. that's what makes me think it may not actually be fungus...???

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Uhhh, well last month I really didn't do very many but I try to do em weekly! I was doin them daily last week cus I didn't want him to get worse. and no, his scales are not raised he doesn't really look slimy, if you're talking about the thing on his head then yes, it does look slimy. other then that though he looks normal. he even acts normal. he still eats like a pig!!! lol and if it's some sort of blister, how would I treat him for it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
okay lucky me I happen to have some epsom salt in my house this very moment! does it have to be specifically for fish or just regular epsom salt? and it looks like slimy and i'm not really sure if it looks fuzzy but i'd have to say no. and it's not very transparent it's more solid looking so I really don't know what it could be especially since it's all discolored in that area. even if it's not what you're saying, it wouldn't hurt him right? :) and how do you treat him with it again? you add one tsp every how many hours? and it probably is what you're saying because he would act all sick if it were fungus right? and he acts completely normal still. but when it first started his scales in that area just looked discolored but over the course of about 3 months it looks like it does now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
okay sounds good! I just did a 50% water change and added 1 tsp of epsom to his water! so do you think it may be permanent? :( I hope not and he didn't have it when I got him so it probably isn't. thanks for the help I appreciate it! :D i'm sure my betta will also. lol hope it works! i'll add another tsp in a an hour or 2 then? and I change the water at least 50 % everyday and add back the salt that I took out or do another 3 tsp or don't add any back??? oh and I have a 1 1/2 gallon tank so I should add 4 1/2 tsp?? O_O lol that sounds like alot and I just let him sit in it for 10 days straight??? sorry for so many questions I just don't want to over dose him or anything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
yeah, I dissolved it! :) and I hope it's not permanant because it's kind of ugly >.> he is a pretty good lookin betta though wouldn't you agree? x) oh and one more thing.. my epsom salt is from up&up and it says
"epsom salt magnesium USP (heptahydrate) soaking aid for minor sprains and bruises saline laxative for relief of occasional constipation"
lol will this work or?...o_O they are all the same, right??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm pretty sure it's 100 % epsom! but i've added the 4 1/2 tsp of epsom to his 1 1/2 gallon tank and i'm kind of scared that it may kill him if I keep him in it over night because it seems like too much for him! D: are you sure about this? I don't want to kill him :((( i've read about epsom salt for fish and bettas and everything and all I get is how it's for constipation so how do you know that this even works? have you tried it??? should I just do a 100 % water change tonight because i'm really worried that if I leave him in it over night that it will be the end of him...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay i'm trusting you! :) I just don't want to wake up to a dead fish after i've worked so hard to try and cure him. his behaviour doesn't seem much different he just seems slower like he's not doin much but i'm lookin at him now and he's swimming all over the place so he's probably fine. it's just the amount of epsom because everywhere else I read it says like 1 tsp of epsom per 1 1/2 gallon and I have 4 1/2 tsp in there!! idk just seems crazy to me. you seem confident about it though so I guess i'll leave him in it over night and see what happens. O_O if this does actually work, when would I see results?? and if I don't should I just take him out of it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know! I only have 4 1/2 in there but it just seems like so much!! :O he's fine though so i'll just do a 50 % water change later and add the salt that I took out back in like you said. thanks so much for the help I hope that this works on him! :) i'll have to let you know if this works. and are you sure he's not gonna just poop his brains out and croak? lol cus other people say to add 3 tsp per gal like you do but only let him sit in it for like 20 mins

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
lol okay so he's gonna be pooping his little guts out for a few days then I guess... xD from what it sounds like, you've had great success with this epsom salt that you use! i'm gonna leave him in there I guess. it does really look like a blister but I thought those are usually only red it looks like his scales and everything are swollen right there it doesn't look like something on him. I really almost just want to stick a needle in that thing and have the fluid drain but I guess that's a bad idea. lol i'll just take your advice and keep goin with the epsom hope this works!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
hmm.. I never thought of it like that but yeah that makes sense! :) I really hope it goes away. I guess i'm gonna find out ina few days if it will go away or not x) and if it doesn't it's probably a cyst or tumor or whatever? i'm assuming that you don't really got rid of those.. it really does look more like a blister though especially the way it's shaped! it looks like fluid is inside

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have a new thread up about it I really need ALOT of people to see this and try to figure it out because i'm completely stumped. O_O it doesn't really look like a tumor either from what I can tell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.