Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not entirely sure where to put this since this doesn't just concern bettas, so should a Mod see fit, feel free to move this thread as needed :)

I've kinda been playing with the idea nipping my social anxiety in the bud and holding a class/seminar/open house type thingy on how to properly care for a fish in a dorm, be it bettas, goldfish, or otherwise, for a while now. After an encounter with Walmart giving some people who live on my floor some really bad advice and me having to tell them otherwise, I'm considering it more. Here's what I'm considering covering:
  • Choosing a good aquarium for the species you want. Why is that .25 gallon cube not suitable for a betta? The issues with keeping a goldfish in a "goldfish bowl".
  • Supplies that you need to keep fish. Heaters, hiding spots, etc., for bettas. Nets, lighting, quality food, a filter (species dependant), a good heater, decorations that are safe(eg. caution using plastic plants with bettas), a reliable thermometer
  • Maybe touch on cycling - nothing enough to turn people away from fishkeeping, but enough to have some idea what's going on so people know to do more research and/or talk to me later in greater depth.
  • Picking out fish. Why goldfish probably aren't a good match for a college student. How to choose a fish that isn't going to die as soon as you bring it home. Possibly a good stocking list for different common tank sizes (eg. 2.5 gallon, 5 gallon, 10 gallon). What fish do well with the water perameters on campus.
  • Upkeep - How/how often to do water changes. Bottled water vs. plain tap water vs. conditioned tap water. The advantages/disadvantages to having a filter. Proper feeding habits.
  • Plants - Again, not something to spend a lot of time on, but it won't hurt to touch on it. The advantages/disadvantages of plants. Good and bad beginner plants
  • Transporting your fish/aquarium to and from school - Do I need to take my fish home with me over the weekend? Over a three week break? How to safely move fish and tank. Acclamating fish to new water.
  • How to do all of this without breaking the bank.
Then I'd probably offer snacks and some door prizes if I get enough people because I've discovered that the easiest way to get the attention of a college student is with the chance at getting free stuff. I thought maybe a small bottle of Prime, a piece of a hard-to-kill plant, and maybe some fish food.

Any comments, concerns, stuff to add or remove, ideas, etc.? I'd really value any input you guys have!
Thanks,
Leah

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sounds like an awesome idea! I don't think you had this mentioned but you should cover water changes. Explain that having a smaller tank, i.e. 1 gallon, your going to have to do more water changes than vs. a bigger tank. I have helped a lot of students on my campus about their bettas and I've noticed that if you talk a little bit about the common diseases that go into play with water changes a lot of them really start taking care of their fish.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Awesome! depending on what kind of people you interact with in college... intellectually inclined people are more drawn to the technicalities of planted tanks. And truthfully, a good planted tanks is the ideal student tank as it cuts down on the need for water changes dramatically :)

·
Banned
9,614 Posts
When I go to college I want a 5-10 gallon tank for a Betta. I would not take carter if he was alive he would be 7 by then that would be torment for him.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I like the idea of doing something like that...maybe you could make a site and record the classes/seminars/open houses and put them online for those that missed one or something...yes, I said more than one. My idea is that you could do a seminar on each topic so that people don't get bored because doing it all at one would take some time. (And that was an understatement. :lol:)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh my goodness, plants have been a Godsend for my tanks. During weeks that I'm super busy (aka most of them) I couldn't imagine the water changes I'd have to do without them.

lol More than one would be nice since it is a lot of stuff to cover. I have thought about how the heck I'd get through all of that stuff without taking all night and/or putting everybody to sleep.

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I go to college fred and his 5 gallon tank might come with me... Actually, I'm pretty sure he's going to stay home because the ph of the water here and where I want to go to college is very different and I don't want to shock his system. He gets to stay home with mom :p xDD Soon enough, she'll be prowling these forums as well. LOL. I don't know if I'm going to get a betta in college. Most likely. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts