Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my heater earlier and I have two thermometers (just in case) in a 10g tank with Toby the Koi Betta. I am using a 50w heater set at 78 and the thermometers are saying the temp of my room (66-68). The heater has been in for about 30 minutes and nothing has changed, does anybody know if the floating thermometers aren't working? Or is something wrong with the thermometer's location.

Also, by the way, I know the heater works because I plugged it in while it was out of the tank and it got pretty warm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is the thermometer fully submerged in the water? also, what temperature range does the thermometer cover? You could put it in a cup of ice water and see if the temperature drops.

the heaters should never be ran out of water. I understand why it would make sense they could, but they aren’t built to do that. It is not impossible that the heater was broke...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It will take about a full day for a heater to bring a tank of room-temp water up to the temperature it's set at, especially since 50W is on the small side for a 10g tank. A heater is only on for a few minutes at a time (so it doesn't get too hot and burn the fish, or itself) and then is off for a period of time, so it takes a while to see major changes.

Since you already have fish in the tank, just let the heater do its thing and check on it every hour or so to make sure it's not getting too hot and needs to be adjusted down.

The placement of the thermometer doesn't really matter as long as the bulb that measures the temperature is fully inside the water, and you can read it easily. Though I'd suggest not putting it within about two inches of the heater so it doesn't read too high of a temperature from the heater working. I like having mine on the front or side walls of my tanks.

And yes, ideally you should never plug in a heater outside of water. A few seconds just to check that it's running is usually alright, but only if it was cool to start with and was unplugged again right after. Never let a heater that was just in a warm tank run outside of water, or run for longer than it takes to see if it's working, because that (and pouring cold water onto a hot heater) is when the biggest risk of shattering occurs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will take about a full day for a heater to bring a tank of room-temp water up to the temperature it's set at, especially since 50W is on the small side for a 10g tank. A heater is only on for a few minutes at a time (so it doesn't get too hot and burn the fish, or itself) and then is off for a period of time, so it takes a while to see major changes.

Since you already have fish in the tank, just let the heater do its thing and check on it every hour or so to make sure it's not getting too hot and needs to be adjusted down.

The placement of the thermometer doesn't really matter as long as the bulb that measures the temperature is fully inside the water, and you can read it easily. Though I'd suggest not putting it within about two inches of the heater so it doesn't read too high of a temperature from the heater working. I like having mine on the front or side walls of my tanks.

And yes, ideally you should never plug in a heater outside of water. A few seconds just to check that it's running is usually alright, but only if it was cool to start with and was unplugged again right after. Never let a heater that was just in a warm tank run outside of water, or run for longer than it takes to see if it's working, because that (and pouring cold water onto a hot heater) is when the biggest risk of shattering occurs.
Alright, It's working, but it was at 76, went up and it's staying at the end of the Safe Zone on the thermometer. I'll be sure to watch it in case it gets too hot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.