Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you tell if a fish is stressed?
Poseidon is healthy right now, but I want to be able to tell when he's not.
What are the signs?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know all the betta-specific stress signals, but here are some

Stress stripes appearing along the sides (not sure about male betta species but this occurs in other species)
Increased respiration rate - you'll see the operculum beating faster, however this will also increase with water temperature as metabolism and temoetrature are linked in exotherms
Loss of equilibrium - fish can't maintain itself upright in the water column
Excessive glass surfing
I believe with bettas sometimes they will bite their fins out of stress, but sometimes its due to their personality
Excessive flaring - maybe not a direct indication but if he's flaring all the time he's probably seeing his reflection too much which may increase stress levels.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know all the betta-specific stress signals, but here are some

Stress stripes appearing along the sides (not sure about male betta species but this occurs in other species)
Increased respiration rate - you'll see the operculum beating faster, however this will also increase with water temperature as metabolism and temoetrature are linked in exotherms
Loss of equilibrium - fish can't maintain itself upright in the water column
Excessive glass surfing
I believe with bettas sometimes they will bite their fins out of stress, but sometimes its due to their personality
Excessive flaring - maybe not a direct indication but if he's flaring all the time he's probably seeing his reflection too much which may increase stress levels.
What is excessive glass surfing?
Like swimming along the glass?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Swimming along then glass but constantly. I wouldn't use this as the only indication of stress, sometimes fish have a little freak or just like glass surfing. I would use it in conjunction with stress stripes or increased oprrculum beats. My fish glass surfs whenever I'm near the tank coz he's begging for food!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swimming along then glass but constantly. I wouldn't use this as the only indication of stress, sometimes fish have a little freak or just like glass surfing. I would use it in conjunction with stress stripes or increased oprrculum beats. My fish glass surfs whenever I'm near the tank coz he's begging for food!
Oh okay, was a bit worries, he likes to swim along the glass, and right now he's swimming slant ways in front of tank...he seems fine, but has been doing so for about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, fish are odd creatures. If you're worried you can try covering the tank with a towel, or half the tank with a towel to keep it dark for a few hours and see if he calms down. Sometimes I do that if mine is being a jerk, it's almost like a reset button!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.