Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just moved back into my college dorm, and have run into the problem of only having access to tap water. Previously, I purchased Deionized water from the grocery store, but this year I do not have access to a car and it would be very impractical to attempt to do this. The tap water measures a pH of around 8.4 even after filtration... very very scary. Is there any way of safely lowering this so I can use it in my tank?

Also, Jorge currently has ripped up his fins quite a bit in the moving process (12 plus hours in the space of a week in a car) Are there any tricks for helping him heal? He is a wonderful fish with lots of personality, and I love him very much. I want to provide the very best environment for him possible. If I really have to only use deionized water, I will find a way to make it happen.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
8.4 is not really that bad. It's best to leave the pH alone. Stability is the key. Fish can adjust to a stable high pH but not one that fluctuates. You could add driftwood which would slowly and naturally lower the pH; or, I believe, IAL.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Indian Almond Leaves (IAL), Oak leaves, banana leaves, peat, anything that adds tannins. But don't expect a major change. Beyond that, leave it alone.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't worry about 8.4; I've got about that and my betta's fine. Acclimate him to it for about half an hour and then drop him in. C;ean warm water, frequent water changes and the fins will heal.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts