Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, sorry for the lengthy post but it seems I'm the typical sucker for the sweet, puppy-eyed (not Pop Eye) betta fish from the pet store. I've been letting a dirted, planted tank run for about 2 weeks now (will go the Prime route for cycling to be safe). I was planning on looking for a fancy, colorful halfmoon at my LFS or online in the weeks to come but while shopping at Petco this past weekend, I stopped at the betta fish shelves as usual to check out their stock. I saw a magenta & white EE HMPK there that upon raising my finger to the cup, totally interacted with me and followed my finger across the outside of his cup. I checked out a beautiful florescent blue HM on the shelf above him who backed away from my finger and avoided me. All the while, the EE kept staring at me, flapping his fins and following my movements around the shelves. It was like an eager puppy, I swear. I wanted to take him home right then and there and get him out of that cup but knew I couldn't make an impulse decision like that. Well as it turns out, I haven't been able to stop thinking about the little guy since then.

I'm highly tempted to go back tomorrow and get him (assuming he's even still there) but I do have some concerns. During all my past visits to this particular Petco, I've always seen at least some sick, if not dead, betta fish on their shelves. Most of those with debris (guessing poop & food) at the bottom of their cups. While this EE looked healthy & friendly, his water was clear, and there was no debris in his cup, I'm still wondering if the other less lucky bettas are signs of conditions at this store that I can't see with the naked eye (or if it's just poor care by the employees). Also, he had a white section on the top of his head that after googling common pet store betta illnesses, makes me wonder about Ich. I didn't think about that at the time to more closely examine the look of it (nor did I take pictures at the time) however, I'm not 100% certain it was Ich since his coloring is magenta & white to begin with and I seem to recall it more as a section/patch on his head that was white and not so much individual dots or anything resembling sugar granules.

Anyhow, if I decide to bring the little fella home, he would be the only fish in my tank. I'm thinking now of treating him regardless as a precaution but do I need to treat him outside of the intended tank as a quarantine since he is going to be the only fish in there? Or can I treat him directly in the tank I have? I don't know if treating him would affect the plants, etc I have in my tank now. Speaking of which, for this instance should I use Melafix, Pimafix, or just Aquarium Salt? If everyone feels I should treat him in a separate area, would doing so in his own Petco cup suffice or do I need to find at least a bowl to keep him in during that time?

TL;DR Version:
If a potentially ill betta is going to be the only fish in a planted tank, do I need to quarantine it separately or can I do it in the same tank? If separate, can it be done within the same store cup?

If it's imperative that I get a picture of him for any type of assessment, I can try passing by there this evening to take one. Again, sorry for the lengthiness of this post and sorry if I should have posted this in the Diseases and Emergencies forum.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I've bought several bettas from my local petco, some look healthy some not when i get them. If they have a tank to themselves it should be fine. Most often warm clean (cycled-or prime bound ammonias at least) will be a big help. Before you put him in look for ich-if he has this you may want to set up a mini hopsical tank so you can raise temp for treatment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've bought several bettas from my local petco, some look healthy some not when i get them. If they have a tank to themselves it should be fine. Most often warm clean (cycled-or prime bound ammonias at least) will be a big help. Before you put him in look for ich-if he has this you may want to set up a mini hopsical tank so you can raise temp for treatment.
The heater I have in my current tank right now (a Top Fin non-preset) keeps the tank at 84 degrees. I find it too warm especially if the house ever gets hotter for whatever reason and I was planning on buying a new one soon that came with a preset temp programmed in. Do you think that keeping the hotter heater for now would be a good idea just for the quarantine period?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
The heater I have in my current tank right now (a Top Fin non-preset) keeps the tank at 84 degrees. I find it too warm especially if the house ever gets hotter for whatever reason and I was planning on buying a new one soon that came with a preset temp programmed in. Do you think that keeping the hotter heater for now would be a good idea just for the quarantine period?
I prefer adjustable heaters myself-most betta owners recommend hydro theo adjustable heaters. If its warmer then the temp you set turning the temp down and check in 6-12 hours, if still too warm turn down a bit more. I have to do this with my old eheim jagar heaters, and 1 hydor theo (on a tank with very high heat emitting light right over water). Look up treatment of ich but I believe it needs 90F to deal with so 84F won't really do anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts