Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, some time ago i noticed that my Betta, Dio, was being sucked onto the filter intake (Found the poor guy wrapped around the thing).
I tried drilling more holes into the intake tube, but he still got sucked onto it.
i eventually tried pantyhose, but i'm finding that there isn't exactly very much water coming out of the output on my filter, which is leading me to believe that it isn't filtering very well at this point.
Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
What sort of filter intake? HOB (hang on back) or canister? Or is it slits in a wall for an internal filtration pump?
Get some black thick filter foam/sponge media. If it's an HOB/canister intake cut the foam to be a thick sock to slide over the intake and completely cover the slits. If it's an internal filter or slots in a wall to a filter behind get some clear low poundage fishing line or 100% acrylic thread and tie a stop of foam larger than the intake opening over the intake. The foam should give enough diffusion of suckon to prevent runs being taken in. Undo this will all my tanks with applicable filters and the bettas do fine.
The foam lets debris throigh better than pantyhose will but will need periodic cleaning- once every 2-6 weeks when doing a water change turn off the filter take off the foam and ring it out in the removed tank water, alternayivy you can press your siphon against the foam (with filter turned off) and suck out the debris in it.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
This happened to Dangerous with his internal corner filter. I had to put panty hose on it and it seems to work. I wish people could make filters like the HOB filter that's safe for your fish so they don't get sucked into it.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
The azoo palm filter comes with a foam cover for the intake and has a low setting. Might be too small for a 10g+ (Not sure) but it works on 5g and under. I have it on a standard 5g that was de-rimmed. You can get it at drfostersmith site or on ebay (they have an account there)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.