Betta Fish Forum banner

161 - 180 of 205 Posts

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Canon's d-Rebel is a quality hobbyist's camera. I thought the chip was bigger, but size isn't everything. Why such small app and high film speed?

I'm a big believer in focus, but I can't justify small f-stops, and I set a film speed of 50 to reduce grain. Of course, with my lens fully open (at only f2.8 -- sheesh) My shutter speeds are like 1/25th. The critter has to be almost perfectly still to even try to get a shot.

Good tip on white balance. Thanks

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Canon's d-Rebel is a quality hobbyist's camera. I thought the chip was bigger, but size isn't everything. Why such small app and high film speed?

I'm a big believer in focus, but I can't justify small f-stops, and I set a film speed of 50 to reduce grain. Of course, with my lens fully open (at only f2.8 -- sheesh) My shutter speeds are like 1/25th. The critter has to be almost perfectly still to even try to get a shot.

Good tip on white balance. Thanks

Since I use Manual mode a lot for my fish shots, curtain app and film speeds will cause the picture to become darker when high or lighter when low. Even when changing the brightness it does not give it that perfect shot for me. So I mess around with the speeds and that is what I get. =) With others like Av, TV and P, I tend to have them reversed.

What kind of camera do you have?

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Just a 10-year old Canon A610. A pos P&S, as i said. Max app is f2.8, so I'm always running fully open, which you'd think would allow a faster shutter. But, in practice, in the tank, I'm still shooting at 1/25th or 1/50th on Av. When I try a higher film speed, the increased grain overcomes any faster shutter speed.

The only thing I really like about it is the view-screen folds out and pivots. So I can frame when the camera is overhead. And it's really nice to frame low subjects (like flowers) standing up instead of crawling around on my belly. And it still has a viewfinder, which I find faster and steadier.

I'd like to get one of these new HD cameras. They're only $300 or less. And the quality they get with HD cellphones these days makes me weep.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Just a 10-year old Canon A610. A pos P&S, as i said. Max app is f2.8, so I'm always running fully open, which you'd think would allow a faster shutter. But, in practice, in the tank, I'm still shooting at 1/25th or 1/50th on Av. When I try a higher film speed, the increased grain overcomes any faster shutter speed.

The only thing I really like about it is the view-screen folds out and pivots. So I can frame when the camera is overhead. And it's really nice to frame low subjects (like flowers) standing up instead of crawling around on my belly. And it still has a viewfinder, which I find faster and steadier.

I'd like to get one of these new HD cameras. They're only $300 or less. And the quality they get with HD cellphones these days makes me weep.
yeah with the screen folding different ways, make is so much easier to shoot things iif you are short like I am. LOL

=O oh man those HD cameras sound cool.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Go down there to Quick Reply and click on Go Advanced.

Scroll down to click on Manage Attachments. Then Browse for your picture (on your computer) and Upload it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Am i the only one who feels like the bettas are laughing at us as we hover around the tank trying to get the perfect shot???
Betta: ok i am going to swim over here and flare and look all cool... oh wait nvm and swim into the corner
lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for making this thread. I'm horrible at taking photos of my fish. :-D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Flash & Glass

I haven't tried it yet but wouldn't using the flash from a camera results in a reflection on the glass of the aquarium?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
it's okay AquaThom. ^u^

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Ugh taking photos of bettas is the most frustrating thing ever! My camera is a nikon d3200, its quite frustrating since it often makes pictures seem "flat" and not sharp but not blurry either...and it lies all the time by telling me that its focused on the object and ready to take the photo but then it just ignores me when I tell it to snap the photo. Ive been so close to smashing this camera so many times...since it always choses to ignore me at the most crucial times:evil:

Ive been playing around with different photo ideas and figured if you put another fish behind the one you want to take a photo of they will pose side on in full flare for you

Recently discovered that if you put the jar (preferably glass coz plastic is usually covered in scratches) inside a polystyrene box and shine a light into it you get a cool white background and it lights the whole fish up
this was taken with polystyrene box method and a flash

this one was taken with just an aquarium background behind the jar

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Ugh taking photos of bettas is the most frustrating thing ever! My camera is a nikon d3200, its quite frustrating since it often makes pictures seem "flat" and not sharp but not blurry either...and it lies all the time by telling me that its focused on the object and ready to take the photo but then it just ignores me when I tell it to snap the photo. Ive been so close to smashing this camera so many times...since it always choses to ignore me at the most crucial times:evil:

Ive been playing around with different photo ideas and figured if you put another fish behind the one you want to take a photo of they will pose side on in full flare for you

Recently discovered that if you put the jar (preferably glass coz plastic is usually covered in scratches) inside a polystyrene box and shine a light into it you get a cool white background and it lights the whole fish up
this was taken with polystyrene box method and a flash

I also have the Nikon D3200 (red body) that I received last x-mas. May I ask, did you take those shots with the kit lens? Can you give me a bit more detail about how you got those shots and more detail about the polystyrene box method? I only have the kit lens at the moment (macro lens is going on my x-mas wish list), but I do have an external camera flash.

I've had trouble with the camera not wanting to take a shot when there is too much white in the background, and I recall I did look that up at one point but I can't recall what the info was about it lol. It may be in my "Nikon D3200 for Dummies" book (great book).

Edit: If you use Chrome, there's a borowser extension called Exif Viewer... I can visually see the exif info in your photos. "55mm F8 1/100 ISO 400 | 2015:09:03 00:40:02 | Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows" (second image). I remembered to hover my mouse over your lovely images to see the info after I hit the post button.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Yeah I have the kit lens, nothing fancy.
I put it on A mode, and played with the settings having no idea what they are or do.
My A mode settings are these...lol no idea what half of them do but i just take a few pics playing with each of the settingsto see what comes out the best. it tends to give a blueish hue though some how

qual fine
iso 1600
normal area af
active d lighting -on
pic control-vivid
matrix measuring

the poly box method is literally just this. I use the light from my little tank to shine into. This one has no editing to it except for a crop, but you can see how whit it gets even without editing.

Id def recommend putting photoshop onto your wishlist though. Gives you so much more control over the levels, and get rid of distracting things as watermarks, glass edges etc

Heres one that I did literally just ten in seconds
prety much is just
crop
levels
clone and patch tool to get rid of the bad things
warm filter
done

If I wanted to spend more time on It Id get rid of the scratches but that takes too much effort and Im a lazy person
before

after

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You are a saint... thank you so much for the write-up! I've copy/pasted it and made it a pdf file so I can perhaps print it for later use (I'll probably stick it in my camera bag lol).

I do have Adobe Photoshop, and been using it for many years (it was one of my go-to's for pixel art, graphic design, web design, and Wordpress theming when I ran my web hosting company). I have Lightroom around here somewhere (I'm still learning the software), I just never reinstalled it after installing Windows 10. I think I prefer Lightroom to just Photoshop for photo editing. Since I like the Dummies series of books I oughta break down and buy Lightroom for Dummies lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any tips on getting a fish to slow down and stop wiggling all over the place while he's flaring? Morpho refuses to hold still long enough for my Droid Turbo to get a good zoomed in shot of him flaring. He also somehow manages to get his tail folded over sometime between when I tell the phone to shoot and when the photo gets taken.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Any tips on getting a fish to slow down and stop wiggling all over the place while he's flaring? Morpho refuses to hold still long enough for my Droid Turbo to get a good zoomed in shot of him flaring. He also somehow manages to get his tail folded over sometime between when I tell the phone to shoot and when the photo gets taken.
See if there's a Sports setting in the options of your phone's camera. Otherwise a cell phone is not really the best thing to use for good quality photos.

161 - 180 of 205 Posts