Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum! I just had a question looming in the back of my mind: how can you tell if a betta is too thin, or is at just the right size? I know that when I betta is overfed their bellies get swollen by their ventrals, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to tell if a fish is not fed enough.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’ve had one Betta that didn’t care too much for food and the one I have now is obsessed with food. He will eat until he looks at if he is going to pop. I think you can tell if they’re still hungry by watching them. I know for my Hannibal when he is hungry and he sees me come into the kitchen he will dance around to get my attention. As I’m feeding him he will stay in the corner waiting for each piece of food to drop.. then after he is satisfied he will swim away, he will usually put on a little show for me swimming in and out of his décor.

What kind of food do you have? I have flakes, pellets, freeze dried blood worms and baby shrimp. I will alter back and forth so he gets a little different each day.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
You can tell if you look down on them from overhead. A well-fed Betta has a larger abdomen (stomach, organs, etc.) and a smooth taper to the tail. An underfed Betta will have a hollow look, concave back to the tail.

That's not hard and fast. What looks skinny might just be the way he's built. They're different, just like people.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts