Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently (like the past 2 days) became the owner of new betta fish and I have done a lot of reading online and I am really concerned about fish creating ammonia. How harmful is this to me when I have to clean the tank? Do I need to be wearing gloves? Does my bathtub need to be cleaned after I dump old water down its drain?

I'm really worried about this so any advice is gratefully accepted! Thank you!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Although the ammonia in a fish tank can be harmful to your fish, as far as humans are concerned, it's a tiny, completely harmless amount.

It won't harm you when you clean the tank, and it's perfectly safe to pour into you bathtub.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I agree with the PP. The levels of ammonia are very small in terms of human safety.
The water that comes out of my tap has more ammonia in it than what comes out of my cycled tanks. So technically, I'm drinking more ammonia than what I touch when I clean my tanks.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've had accidental mouthfuls tank water (and swallowed it!) from siphoning, and never come to harm. You're highly unlikely to get sick from anything in your fish tank. The one major exception is when fish have fish TB, but that's so rare...

That said, it's a good idea to wash your hands after handling tank water. It's just a basic in-case hygiene thing.

I sometimes remember to do it. ;) And these days, -always- between tanks, as I have a few.

Ammonia's not an issue at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.