Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a hydro sponge to replace my internal filter. How much flow does this thing need? Right now it has a steady stream of bubbles going through the tube. Link to a 10 second video at the bottom.

It seems to be causing a lot of surface movement is there a way to lessen. I would really like for my boy to build bubblenest like he did in his KK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_gKP0RkexI

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've decided to add a difuser or air stone to it. What is the diference? Also should I go with a fine or coarse one to reduce surface agitation?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm sorry that I can't tell you anything about the type of air stone to use. I just got whatever my local store had in stock. It was just a cheap one, one of those blue ones. I have no idea if it was 'coarse' or 'fine', there was no description like that on the package.

I think anything that makes the bubbles smaller is going to help you though!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Did the air pump you bought come with a flow valve? They usually do but it is entirely possible that it didn't. If you can buy one (they're really cheap like non-return valves) then you can manually reduce the flow.

If you aren't comfortable with reducing the flow you could look to getting an air stone but I'm not sure if you can attach it to both the filter and the pump (as they only have one point to attach the tubing) - this being said you can get "Tees" that enable you to attach multiple devices onto the air filter (Example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Angels-Aqua...W8S6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1332342635&sr=8-7).

I'm not sure as to the hardness you'd want for an airstone; I'd say go for something you know your betta won't harm himself on (Kaze used to enjoy picking at stuff in his old sponge filter as well as poking at the bubbles from the outlet so he got pretty close to it) and go for something small. Air stones will still agitate the surface of the water but it may not be as dramatic as the sponge filter.

·
Registered
420 Posts
SpookyTooth - the air stone attaches -inside- the sponge filter. It can easily be done. Adjusting the airflow with a valve doesn't help as much as adding the air stone. At least, this is my experience!

·
Registered
597 Posts
That is so awesome! Thank you for the extra info, I'll look forward to trying that myself in future :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts