Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(PLEASE READ ALL)
Hey, I'm just wondering, has anyone tried Hydrofloria? I've been interested in the product for a while and my birthday is coming up soon (I'm quite young and don't have money :p) so please respond!

For those who don't know, Hydrofloria is similar to the Back To The Roots Aquafarm; it's an aquaponics system. It looks nicer and more modern than the aquafarm but I just want someone to post a review, or a picture or something because I haven't seen any! (Aquaponics: fish poop > poop get broken down by bacteria into plant food > plant absorbs food > plant cleans tank by getting rid of waste and providing oxygen)

Even if no one has hear of hydrofloria ( www.hydrofloria.com ) can anyone reccomend a good aquafarm, for instance on amazon I've seen "aquadorables" and whatnot. Plz answer thx!!!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I've never tried it but I don't think they are a bad thing. However, they still need water changes and the fish need to be fed pellets. The Hydrofloria seems to be about 2 gallons. That means you would need to do two 50% water changes every week. I know that the companies tell you that you do not need to do this, but you do.

You also need to cycle these tanks. People think that the cycle starts when you add the plants but you still need to cultivate the beneficial bacteria.

You also need a heater as well, since bettas need a heater.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I disagree about the twice weekly water changes, the plants would remove nitrates from the water and reduce the need for them. The kit looks good to me! It's also pretty easy to make something like that yourself, which would allow you to use any kind of tank you want. All you need is the little baskets, suction cups, and growing medium. Google "DIY riparium" for more info.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I like to be over cautious with water changes, just to be safe.

The OP should do is once the tank is cycled, test for nitrates every day and when they reach 20ppm or if it is been a week since the last water change (which every happens first) then change the water. After a while you'll know when to do water changes and you won't have to test the water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.