Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the correct section or not..feel free to close this if it isn't and point me to the suitable section to post this in...

Betta fish is currently out of this tank because he's got fin rot, which i put the blame on myself for not keeping his tank cleaned regularly. I am currently treating him for it though. Anyway, I was about to feed the Dwarf Frog, who is currently still in the main tank before I clean it when I noticed these things on the spot of Algea on the tank.
*Picture is zoomed in on this spot of Algea to show these tiny assumed bugs?*

Any idea what these things are and if they're harmful or not? Would the water change I'm about to do get rid of these things?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about it being snail babies but my snail never did lay eggs but who knows? These cant be eggs because they move around and are all around this particular spot of algea.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If they're moving then they're snails. Sometimes those snails can be sneaky and lay eggs where you can't see em.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, then my Mystery Snail probably did lay some eggs somewhere I didn't see. In fact it makes sense considering after I bought it, these things began to appear constantly. I guess if they don't hurt my frog or fish then alright, I was worried they were something harmful. Is there a way to get rid of them?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Your fish may eat them. I had a pond snail in my tank. It laid eggs constantly when it first moved in, but my fish ate all the eggs and the babies so they never grew up to full size. I continued to have one pond snail in my tank. I have never had more since that one died!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You'll never get rid of them completely.

I had some in my QT when I purchased my first plants. Nothing in that tank either, no substrate, fake plants, pvc pipe or anything. Imagine my surprise when I woke up one morning to a tank full of baby snails. I ended up dumping half a carton of aquarium salt in there to get rid of them. I think the little suckers got up into the filter and laid eggs there because I never saw them. This is when I learned about dipping plants lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know what my snail Gyro did hide against the filter a lot, I probably should have checked what it was up to. Well, the snail recently died of old age and I was considering another snail since its the only thing I can have in a 5.5 gallon tank with the frog and fish at the moment, unless there's better bottom feeders I could get.

Important thing is I know these things are not harmful to my Betta and my ADF and Sushi could snack on them once hes back in his main tank.

Thanks for helping me figure out what these things could be!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts