Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had visited Petco approximately a week ago to window shop while my dad was at Menards; that was a big mistake. I ended up falling in love with a handsome betta labeled "Butterfly Male," but had to leave him due to the fact that I didn't have $15 to spend on a fish or a tank to bring him home to. I was careful to keep away from Petco until today. I needed to price the different tanks that were available, but then I saw him sitting there and broke down. I took him home, where my brother's girlfriend agreed to let me borrow a one gallon tank until the one I ordered arrives in the mail. I couldn't help myself, it was a moment of weakness on my part. I want to scold myself, but my mind keeps praising because this is my first betta and I'm naturally very excited about the whole situation.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If I was older and lived on my own, I'd probably do the same thing :)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
when you walk into a pet store doesn't it just pain you that you know how to care for every single depressed betta there in thoose tiny cups, but you just can't because of money!:"(.......but hey you got a new fish!! YayxD goodluck I hope he has a good cup free life! HahaxD

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Aww good for you! I'm sure he's going to be very happy with you!!

Can we see some pictures? ^_^ We love praising pretty fishies!! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, so many of us have ended up in the same situation.
I remember making a promise that I wouldn't get a betta until I felt ready to take on the responsibilities of a good owner, but that went down the drain rather quick. However, I'm confident that I will be alright, especially when I have a whole community of betta enthusiasts to back me up. One thing is certain: temptation can be a pain in the butt.

If I was older and lived on my own, I'd probably do the same thing :)
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who would fail to resist; it makes me feel a lot better.

when you walk into a pet store doesn't it just pain you that you know how to care for every single depressed betta there in thoose tiny cups, but you just can't because of money!:"(.......but hey you got a new fish!! YayxD goodluck I hope he has a good cup free life! HahaxD
It was painful to only pick one out of the many that were gorgeous and in need of a proper home; it was a struggle to choose between the one I took (let's call him Mr. Fishy until he's given an official name) and all of the others. But in the end, I could select only one, and I had been keeping an eye on Mr. Fishy for a week prior to purchasing him. Three cheers for a cup-free life!

Aww good for you! I'm sure he's going to be very happy with you!!

Can we see some pictures? ^_^ We love praising pretty fishies!! lol
If he will allow me to take a picture of him, I will definitely post it here. Whenever he sees the camera, he acts as if he's a firecracker being set off. With that in mind, I can't guarantee a quality picture, but I will certainly attempt to get one, whether he likes it or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guilt is starting to poke at me for keeping this handsome fella in a bare one gallon, but it's all I have until the tank I ordered arrives. I've been giving him extra attention in hopes that it will prevent bad behaviors such as tail biting due to boredom. To be honest, I would rather have him slightly bored for a while than dead in a cup or at the hands of an owner who didn't even bother to do research. Our local Petco constantly has gorgeous bettas like this guy in stock, so I guess I'm just lucky. Thank you all for the compliments on him and making me feel better about taking him home in a rush.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
That's how I got my Oliver. I left him there for two days and finally had to go back for him and bring him home. Even though I did not have the $22 to buy just him nor did I have a tank for him. About a week maybe less he got a 2.5 gallon tank (which I feel kinda guilty about cause one of my boys is stuck in a 1.5 gallon and I've been meaning to upgrade him but can't) and now finally has an adjustable heater so his temp is more constant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.