Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, a few weeks ago I noticed that my local pharmacy was selling 3-gallon fish tanks. To show off the tanks, they had one set up. It had only a thin layer of gravel at the bottom, and a veil tail that didn't exactly look so hot. He seemed to have slight fin rot.

I felt sorry for the fish, but did nothing. The store doesn't sell fish, so it's not like I could buy him. I came back to the store a few times after that, and the poor little guy looked worse and worse. I could tell that water changes were not getting done.

Today, my dad told me that we were going out for tacos, and that we were going to stop at the pharmacy on the way back. On the way out the door, I slipped a bottle of some aloe vera betta medicine into my pocket. It was a kind that didn't require water changes soon after, so I knew it would be perfect for the pharmacy fish.

We got to the pharmacy, and my dad picked up a few things he needed. I showed him the fish, expecting him to be horrified by its living conditions. Instead, he simply replied:
"Huh, looks like a fish. What's the big deal?"
*sigh* Parents will never understand how us betta lovers feel about betta fish. I explained to him what fin rot is, and how it is caused.

Anyway, I knew I had to ask permission before I could put medicine in the tank. I'm only 13 years of age, though, and speaking to adults I don't know can be rather intimidating. I walked up to the checker at the counter. I'm so shy, it was really hard for me, but I just kept thinking about that poor fish.

"Excuse me, sir, but that fish is very sick. I brought some medicine for it. May I put a few drops in his water, please?"

The man shrugged, then nodded. I gave the fish his medicine, and I was so happy I could explode. I talked to an adult I didn't know, and I saved the life of a beautiful betta today!

I think I'll return weekly for additional doses of medicine, and maybe I'll even do a water change. I'll bring live food for the betta, and treat him like he's my own. The employees might think of me as crazy, but I got over my shyness and fear today. All thanks to a little blue veil tail.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
awsome maybe name him even and get some pictures:) i change the cups at our petstore everyother day :) and im 12

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I've been tempted to offer to change betta water at my lfs for free but as a chain store they're pretty strict rules about customer interaction with life fish.. so unless it was a lazy/lenient employee I'd get a "No, customers aren't allowed to handle/care for/put hands in tanks/cups."
But its probably better that I not try, I'd end up buying a lot of bettas I'd bonded with from doing water changes, run out of room for tanks (and outlets/extension cords/ power strips) real quick.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my LPS is like that, too. But this place is a pharmacy, so they don't really care about me giving him medicine and stuff, since he's not for sale. His name's Guy, by the way. (they named him, not me) I'll try to get some pics!

·
Registered
482 Posts
You're very mature and thoughtful for 13, well done! it was a great thing to do, let us know how it goes :)

·
Banned
78 Posts
I'm following! I want to know what's going to happen. Good for you!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,653 Posts
I want to say, good for you and way to go in overcoming your fear to help out a small creature, it takes a brave person to do something like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts