Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just got this Betta as a surprise for my birthday last month. He was kinda iridescent white if that makes sense and he had some small black spots in his face a body but they weren’t noticeable but now they have spread to lager portions of his body. His fins also seem to be kinda ragged in spots. I will take any advice or product recommendations that don’t cost a fortune since I’m a university student getting by thank you!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? (2)
Does it have a filter? (Yes)
Does it have a heater? (Yes)
What temperature is your tank? (25c)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? (No)
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? (No)

Food:
What food brand do you use? (Tetra)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? (Flakes)
Freeze-dried? (Blood worms x2 a week)
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? (Twice a day, one small pinch)

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? (Every 2 weeks)
What percentage of water did you change? (All)
What is the source of your water? (Tap)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? (No I dump water and rinse rocks)
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? (API Betta water conditioner with aloe)

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: (don’t have a test)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15mg/L
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH): 25
Alkalinity (KH): 0

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? (Just now)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?(yes, he is turning black)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?(not really other than we was sitting but where the water just drawn into filter kinda stuck to it)
Is your Betta still eating? (Yes)
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? (No)
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? (No)
How long have you owned your Betta? (1 month)
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? (No)
Green Plant Pet supply Wood Fish
Plant Pet supply Terrestrial plant Wood Glass

·
Super Moderator
1,078 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum!

Great you already have filled out the form and great that you got such a sweet Double Tail Betta (as far as I can see).

He seems to be a grizzle color and might even get darker but it is his natural color and nothing to worry about. His fins should be fine if you stick to the water changing recommendations below and half an Indian Almond Leaf in his tank.

I noticed a few things you might want to look into for keeping him safe and sound.

Here is a "sticky note" with water changing schedules for all tank sizes (please note that 100% water changes are no longer recommended as this is quite hard on the fish):
BF Water changing recommendations

I‘d upgrade him on some more nutritious food like Fluval Betta Bug Bites, Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, Northfin Betta Bits or New Life Spectrum pellets. Flakes are not as nutritious and a bit messy. You can remove any uneaten food with a clean turkey baster.

Freeze dried food is said to cause constipation and should only be given as an occasional treat and preferably presoaked.

As Bettas love to rest or nap near the surface you could exchange one of the logs with a floating log (also DIY craft mesh tunnels will work) or look for a silk plant that reaches all the way to the top.

I hope it‘s not too much information - please ask any questions if something sounds confusing for you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to the Forum!

Great you already have filled out the form and great that you got such a sweet Double Tail Betta (as far as I can see).

He seems to be a grizzle color and might even get darker but it is his natural color and nothing to worry about. His fins should be fine if you stick to the water changing recommendations below and half an Indian Almond Lea

I noticed a few things you might want to look into for keeping him safe and sound.

Here is a "sticky note" with water changing schedules for all tank sizes (please note that 100% water changes are no longer recommended as this is quite hard on the fish):
BF Water changing recommendations

I‘d upgrade him on some more nutritious food like Betta Bug Bites, Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, Northfin Betta Bits or New Life Spectrum pellets. Flakes are not as nutritious and a bit messy. You can remove any uneaten food with a clean turkey baster.

Freeze dried food is said to cause constpation and should only be given as an occasional treat and preferably presoaked.

As Bettas love to rest or nap near the surface you could exchange one of the logs with a floating log (also DIY craft mesh tunnels will work) or look for a silk plant that reaches all the way to the top.

I hope it‘s not too much information - please ask any questions if something sounds confusing for you!
Thank you so much, but how often should I put a almond leafs in the tank?

·
Super Moderator
23,826 Posts
Tanks with IAL should retain this color:
Flower Plant Nature Leaf Sunlight

If the water is clear after adding IAL, brew as you would strong tea. Treat the water and add to tank. The "tea" should be blackish in color. Store leftovers in refrigerator.

He appears to have the marble gene which means he can change colors. He may go solid black, solid white, speckled, etc.

Double Tails are special because of their body shape. It makes them prone to bloat. This means they should be fed 2-3 meals per day; not just one and pellets over flakes. There is a belief among some that fish gulp in more air with flakes than pellets. My objection to them is you never know how much you are feeding. It depends on individual fish and their size but 4-5 pellets 2-3 x per day seems to be good.

As Feanor noted, freeze dried (according to the manufacturers, too) should only be used an an occasional treat. One meal of frozen shrimp is good and gives our buddies some variety. The foods Feanor recommends are the best available to most.

Betta also do best in crowded, dimly-lit environments. There's a saying among long-time Betta keepers that if you can see your Betta at a glance you don't have enough cover. Fake are fine but you can try an Anubias if you want to give live plants a shot. Just get one to see how it goes. They don't need to be planted; can be tied to decor or anchored. They also do not need as much light as other plants.

Have fun! I really like Double Tails.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts