Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased one today which came from Thailand and everything seemed fine with it until I just went not too long ago to look at it and it died. This is the second time this has happened in less than two months. I had to pay for the fish then I had to pay the transshipped which cost nearly $50 smh. Now it was just a waste of money. The previous beta before I had lasted over a year before passion away. The water wasn't even hot. The water was at a cool temp but not colds. I'm expecting another one tomorrow and I just even feel so excited about it anymore...

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Do you know the exact temperature of your water and other parameters such as ammonia and nitrite?

Imports can be sensitive. It is quite stressful for fish to go from one continent to another, and without proper acclimation and maintenance, they can become sick or even die.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know the exact temperature of your water and other parameters such as ammonia and nitrite?

Imports can be sensitive. It is quite stressful for fish to go from one continent to another, and without proper acclimation and maintenance, they can become sick or even die.
I mean it did look healthy and was swimming and everything earlier in the afternoon. That probably wouldn't meaning nothing right? I'm just so upset right now. I paid over $70 for this betta and for the one that's coming later on today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the transshipper held on to it for a few months. I didn't pay her until last week and I purchased it back in March I believe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it might have died because of inflamed gills from what I'm reading. It's gills were exposed when it died.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Do you have a test kit for your water? The first thing anyone will ask you about your fish dying is about your water levels - temperature, ammonia, nitrite/nitrate, and pH. Especially when your fish has been imported, any issues with those things could cause it to die quickly.

·
Registered
627 Posts
And again... what is your exact temperature? Heaters (and in turn, thermometers) are pretty much a requirement for any tropical fish.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
A stable 76-80 is desirable for bettas.

Imports should be acclimated slowly. Drip method is generally a good way.

Any Petco or Petsmart will test your water for free. Ask them for an exact number when you test.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Do you use a water conditioner/treatment such as Seachem Prime to remove/neutralize ammonia? Inflamed gills are often a sign of ammonia poisoning.

The key to having healthy fish is "Know your water parameters....Know your water parameters....Know your water parameters."

Good Luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been using this same tank with my previous two bettas and didn't have any problems for over a year.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That doesn't mean that it's an okay tank.

The smaller the tank is the more water changes you'll have to do as well.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
+1 Kithy.

With tanks that small, when things go wrong, they go wrong FAST...sometimes in just a few hours. Your Betta may be fine when you leave for work/school and you come home to a dead fish.

For your problem it's all a guessing game unless you help us by answering these questions:

1. How often did you change water?
2. Did you use a water "conditioner" that neutralizes ammonia or just the sea salt?
3. Did temperature stay even? Fluctuating temperatures kill fish. That is why BettaFish.com care guides stress the importance of heaters and thermometers.
4. How long did you have the Betta which just died?

The fish you bought from Thailand were used to different water; traveled thousands of miles; repacked by a transhipper and shipped to you. This can cause stress which weakens the Betta. It is imperative that when they reach you they are provided with a stable environment so they can adjust and destress.

As said before, red gills are an indication of ammonia poisoning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts