Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Betta Helblindi's scales are turning yellow. Every post on here that I find about yellow spots on the head said something of it being a growth, but the scales are just yellow. I don't get it and I've looked at around sixteen pages so far.

He used to have a roommate (via divider in his tank) Freya, but I moved her to a separate tank. Freya is doing fine, healthy and as big of a jerk as ever, so I don't get what's going on. Her tank is completely clean, but 'Blindi's has brown algae.

I clean their tanks once a week and use cleaners and rock soap.

Is it a disease? Why is Freya unchanged but 'Blindi isn't?

I really need the help guys...

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Hey,

Can you answer these questions for us. it'll be easier to know whats going on. Also if you can attach a photo that would help too.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing
My tank is about a gallon.
I don’t know, I have no way of checking, but the average temperature in my house is around 75 degrees.
There is no filter
I don’t know what an air stone is…
My tank is not heated.
Blindi was just moved to a tank of his own about three weeks ago. He lived with one other through a divider.

Food
I give them the generic betta food from Petco.
I feed them about once every three days (three pellets each)

Maintenance
I change/clean the tank about once a week
I change all but maybe a cup (The last time I cleaned Blindi’s tank I changed all the water just in case whatever he has was made worse by the dirty water)
I add generic fish solution to the bowl from Walmart (it said that it was safe for all saltwater fish)

Water Parameters:
I can’t check the water for things like that…

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
Blindi is a blue (more aquamarine, really) veil tail betta and he is beginning to get orange scales on his head.
He isn’t behaving any different than before; in fact, he seems happier now that I moved him to his own tank.
I noticed about three days before I posted this thread.
I don’t know how to treat him! I don’t know what’s wrong!
Not that I know of.
I don’t know. I got him about three months ago from Petco.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I... don't think this is actually a disease. I think your fish is just a marble, really. Some Bettas just change colors. They can be white one week, blue the next, and then have streaks of red later on. (Or any colors. Just an example.)

He'll color up more if you feed him more (like, 3 pellets a day) and keep his water extra clean. Especially if it's good food with protein as the first three ingredients. Or if you get a heater and keep the tank temp around 80*. (Heaters and thermometers aren't that expensive when you're talking about a 1gal, and it'd make your fish live longer.) Oh, and in a gallon tank, I suggest replacing half of the water every three days. At *least.* Doing simple things like that can help ensure you won't need this part of the forum at all!

Marbles are beautiful! Count yourself lucky. :)

If he starts acting lethargic or otherwise odd, come back and talk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh my god, thank you so much! I've never had a Betta before, and I was freaking out! Ugh, darn you, 'Blindi, and the mental trauma... XD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts