Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my Super Delta for around 3 months now. He lives in a 20 litre tank and happily swims around. Over the last few weeks his back fin has nearly completely disappeared. I don't think its fin rot because big chunks just disappear overnight, but I don't think he is biting or it is being torn by sharp objects either. He is completely healthy except half his tail is gone. But over the last few days he has been struggling to eat. He still wants the food, but he has to take a couple of bites to eat it. Now when I feed him, he completely ignores the food and randomly bites the air, even when the food is right in front of his face.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He eats 5 food pellets a day
  • he has a filter that is turned on every now and again
  • he lives alone
- he doesn't really have a tank cleaning routine, but I try to do a 50% water change every week, with a 100% every 3-4 weeks
  • no aquarium salt, just water conditioner
  • Have no idea about water parameters
  • No treatment yet, only started worrying when he couldn't eat.
  • his scales look fine, regular colour(apart from back tail)
Is he going blind?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Like Rainbo said,water parameters and other info on sheet are important to start with. A lot of stress or sickness starts with water quality. If those are all in line, it sounds like he may have some sight issues but those too can be caused by illnesss or age- so hard to decipher. If he has a white film over eyes, that can be cloudy eye and is treatable; if age, not so much. I was recently reading about the difference between fin rot and nipping and you can look for red tips for injury or nipping and curling or black tips for rot. Hoping you can fiugre it out:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts