Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it's been a week and three days since I got my new Betta Thorny. I went back to Petsmart on Sunday to get a couple things for my friends Betta whom I'm looking after.

I made the mistake of going to the Betta section. Before I saw Thorny I had about 4 Bettas I was deciding between. I had the idea I for sure wanted a bluish teal halfmoon, and one of those 4 little guys fit the bill perfectly. I definitely would have gotten him had I not seen Thorny at the back.

Well I found him... that little blue halfmoon upside down with cloudy eyes at the bottom of his cup prison :crying:
I know it might sound silly but I honestly feel really guilty. I've been thinking about him since Sunday. Wondering if I could have saved him. I moved him to the back of the shelf so he could be in peace until one of the workers moved him.

I feel so bad I wish I had been able to afford two tanks so I could have gotten him and Thorny. Those Bettas had been shipped in about 2 days before I got Thorny, so that blue little guy had only been there for a little over a week and he didn't make it. I guess that's how bad it is for Bettas being stuck in those cups :crying:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Aww. SIP.

*nudge* The $1 per Gallon sale is going on at PetCo... Can buy a 10 or 20 gallon tank for $10 or $20, then add filter/heater/light/etc as you have the money for it. Then you can divide it in half or in three (10, 20) and get another betta or two (or three, if you keep Thorny's tank up and running... :))

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the sale online as well? I don't have a Petco in my city and I live in Canada. I would seriously consider it if the tanks are going that cheap. I don't have room for a 10 gallon but heck I would MAKE some room for minimum a 5 gallon.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I don't think it's online.... I also don't think its for anything under a 10, LOL. Sorry! (But... You could always make room for a 10..... And I think PetSmart may do this once in a blue moon)

Reactions: Warlandra

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't think we get the dollar a gallon Sale here.. Us Canadians get ripped off unfortunately on everything from our own housing to fish housing.. Lol.. 😳

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Pet Smart actually had 10 gallon tanks for about $15, it's certainly not $10, but it's pretty affordable, I've purchased a few of my 10s that way. :)

P.S SIP beautiful teal HM <3

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I can relate with what you are saying and how you are feeling. I too have had pangs of guilt of not being able to "save" a betta from a bad situation. I have gone to the store to "save" one betta and have walked out with 2. I've been trying to just avoid the betta section all together. I'm also just stocking up on pet products so I don't have to go to the store as often.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I definitely feel ya there. I think many of us have been through the same thing. I know I've watched many fish deteriorate in the stores with no way to help them. I've been able to help a couple but can't help them all.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Is the sale online as well? I don't have a Petco in my city and I live in Canada. I would seriously consider it if the tanks are going that cheap. I don't have room for a 10 gallon but heck I would MAKE some room for minimum a 5 gallon.
Petco doesn't reside in Canada.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Thorny may have died the same way. At least you have him! I know it's hard to walk away and not save them all. :-(

Reactions: Warlandra

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think we get the dollar a gallon Sale here.. Us Canadians get ripped off unfortunately on everything from our own housing to fish housing.. Lol.. 😳

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Petsmart does do that sale but I have no idea how often it happens. Last year I picked up a 20 long during the $1 per gallon sale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I rarely go into petco or petsmart to see their fish. They take very poor care of them and I feel bad supporting them. I know you may feel the urge to save the poor fish, but in the end you are supporting the company that is going to keep selling and neglecting those poor little guys. I understand that it is the easiest and most affordable place to buy them, but bettas shouldn't be any more expensive at a reputable aquarium supply store. Google and look for one in your area. If there are multiple, visit them and take a look at their fish. The employees there will also have more knowledge and be able to give tips sometimes. I bought a betta a couple years ago from petco and so went back to get my next one after the little guy died of swim bladder disease after i tried to treat him for fin rot. What I saw at petco immediately following christmas was horrifying, so many dead and sick fish. It's so sad to see or think about. I'm thankful Thorny is safe and healthy, but consider not supporting pecto when you purchase your next fish if they treat the fish so badly. You may save one, but in doing so you enable them to neglect more fish. :/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts