Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Ever since I bought my two Betta, I have scheduled to turn off the lights at night. That way they can rest. I have a 10g divided tank. One of my Betta is housed with a red shrimp that he seemed was doing very well getting along with. My tank is live planted. This morning when I went to see them, I found my cherry shrimp dead right in the front of the tank.

Do you think this "tantrum" was a proof of his crankiness and lack of rest?

Or maybe I'm not feeding them enough. Just a bit in the morning and night time. They eat about 3 live larvae each one (I live in Fl, or pellets, or frozen brine shrimp. I have a heater and a filter. I read fishes housed in something very similar to their natural habitat have faster metabolism. My tank is still maturing too. 2 weeks old.

Again, it was very unpredictable to me, and really got to me. At least I got to take a very good video yesterday of my cherry.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There are a number of reasons that your shrimp may have died, but I feel like having left the lights on would be potentially the least of the reasons. So don't feel too bad.

Shrimps are very sensitive to the water parameters. If your tank is still new and still cycling, that would be a very likely reason. Do you know your water parameters?

How heavily planted is the tank?
Bettas are know for their fighting and often don't deal with tankmates very well. And shrimp can be targets of this aggression and desire to hunt. (So, for shrimp and bettas, heavily planted tanks can help give the shrimp places to hide.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do not believe that leaving the lights on over night was what caused the demise of your sole cherry shrimp.

Are you feeding the shrimp separate food from what the betta eats? I find shrimp need food that has calcium added, or added via another source in the tank, to help them have a strong shell. If there is not enough calcium, they can have a bad molt which can kill them.

It is also very possible that the betta killed it, as Cranly said they have a natural desire to hunt.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
It is less likely the Betta killed your shrimp and more likely because you put them in a new tank.

If your tank is not heavily planted it can stress shrimp to the point of death; a new tank with fluctuating parameters can kill shrimp. Even the slightest amount of Ammonia will wipe them out.

Also know that fish do not have "tantrums." That ugly habit is reserved for humans. If the shrimp were weakened by lack of cover or bad parameters they made easy targets for your Betta.

Wait until your tank is mature; that means four months old. And follow this tutorial as it will help you a great deal.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=555434

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.