Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't believe it--Petsmart for $7.99. Its between the size of a ping pong ball and a baseball! I expected it to be MUCH more expensive. They only had two left, so I took the one that was more round. Its very green and healthy looking. Its obviously real, as it looks just like the real ones you can Google, and it sunk after I squeezed it out.

When I squeezed it out, there was no stink, and no dirty water. Question is, I have it in QT in a 1 gallon tank. The water from the pet store went in, and I and topped it off with dirty tank water from a water change I just did. Anything else I need to do? How long do you recommend QT? A week? Or more?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
A week at least, more is best.

*pssst* (some people are going to tell you that it is vying for world domination)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Only cos' it's true, fishman!

RackinRocky - you need to name your moss ball, dems the rules ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its been a few hours, and now the water is very cloudy. Should I put tap water in that has been treated with stress coat, or tap water along with tank water? (I just did a water change so don't have any dirty tank water now).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did read that LONG thread (well, most of it) on moss balls. Hilarious! Not sure what to name it, but I'm thinking on it as I type.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I would put in unconditioned water with the moss ball to kill any hitch- hikers.

But just for a few hours, then condition the water.

·
Registered
610 Posts
A week at least, more is best.

*pssst* (some people are going to tell you that it is vying for world domination)
It's true! Goblin and Gremlin are plotting right now!

But yeah, a week by itself to make sure no surprises. Squeeze it every once in awhile and change the water to tank water after half a week. At least that's what I did. And Gremlins not dead yet!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have baby moss balls, does it mean I have to name them, too? Two of them are size of peas, one the size of a marble and the other the size of one of those big gumballs you get out of the spiral machines.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have baby moss balls, does it mean I have to name them, too? Two of them are size of peas, one the size of a marble and the other the size of one of those big gumballs you get out of the spiral machines.
Oh yes, 'tis procedure to name all the fuzzy balls!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, into unconditioned water he goes for a few hours, then its some stress coat. Isn't Grover the green one? I was thinking of naming him that. Or maybe something a little more unique. . .

·
Registered
109 Posts
I love the moss balls, I saw one at petsmart but sadly I only had $5 with me D: and I needed betta food anyways..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just occurred to me today that Grover is, in fact blue! How does Kermit sound? It thought it rather fitting. . . By the way, he hasn't escaped his 1 gallon cube in the middle of the night. Not yet anyway. LOL!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought two of them at a LFS today (3.5 Euros for both of them). For now I put them in a small 3 liter tank with normal tap water. One of them is vibrant green so I guess it's healthy. The other one has 2 or 3 spots where the algae are missing, and it's brown-ish too. Hope I can "revive" it, the conditions it was beeing kept it were horrid. Any advice on how I could treat them? (I've hear people mention salt).

Also, I know they become round because they keep rolling on the bottom of the tank. I have big gravel mixed with patches of sand in my big tank, I guess I can't look forward to nice looking round Marimos, can I? :(

Later edit:
Interesting. The "dead" one is floating. I guess it's either "fake" or in terrible condition :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts