Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HM and my female finally spawned today!!
Now I have some questions? When do I take the female out? They have been spawning for the last hour (that I have seen) Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The male will chase the female away once the spawn is over. Sometimes the female will help the male put the eggs in the nest, but once the male starts chasing the female away from the nest, it is time to take her out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The male will chase the female away once the spawn is over. Sometimes the female will help the male put the eggs in the nest, but once the male starts chasing the female away from the nest, it is time to take her out.
Thank you!! They are still spawning and I can see eggs falling too!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
or you can always take her out if you don't want that many fry
How can I tell if there are eggs in the bubble nest? Can you see them right away?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
You should see him place the eggs in the nest, by "shoving" them in, and even make bubbles around them. It's hard to see them :lol: especially if the male decided to make it thick. Soon you'll hopefully see little black dots bouncing :3

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congratulations, Once the female is done the male while just start chasing. I also witness how they spawn and once completed he just went from immediately. She also aided in bring the eggs to the surface and he will collected and place them into the bubbles. Wait is so amazing how they part-take in the spawning process and collecting all the eggs that had fallen to the bottom.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you!! I was really surprised to get a good one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Wait so u can take the feamle out early to minimise the spawn?? Dosnt it upset the male and frustrate him??

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I never suggest it. Because, if you removed her, yes you'll have a smaller spawn but what if you have less surviving fr? ;) Just keep them together, until they are done. I recommend this, because you can always cull the fry after, usually the deformed or weak ones, which by the time they are fully grown you will have less anyways.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh, i was referring to fasht he said u could take her out earlier, and then again ur right cause u will have to cull some of the deformed ones.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Yup therefore I say it's best to let them breed :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
True.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well here's the update, I took her out. I'm not sure if there are any fry yet, I can't see anything in the bubble nest. My question is now... how long do I wait for the fry to appear, or do I put her back in for another round? Thanks for all your help.
I actually got these two from PetSmart, my HM is so pretty!!!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Pretty!

And within 1-2 days they should hatch. Mine took 18 hours :) Once they are free swimming, some daddies will eat them. Best to remove him after they are darting around on their own, because he'll get tired chasing after them :lol: my Maine did that - it was SO cute!!! <3

If not, recondition both of them (2 weeks minimum) then try again.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I wouldnt suggest trying to get more eggs after you remove the female because she will get over-exhausted and die. Also this would be more work for the male. If you have a spawn right now and would like to breed them again and have all the required equipment, wait a week for recovery and for the pair to rest, then start reconditioning them for 1-2 weeks. 1 1/2 minimum. I usually never condition my pair for the whole two weeks. Some people are different.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
It's best to give the parents some time off before starting another try at spawning. You know your fish best, you will know when they are ready and look healthy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts