Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added my female blue beta into my 10 gallon. She was in my 2.5 tank for the past 3 days, and after yesterday night she seemed sick and miserable. So tonight I was faced with a decision add my healthy female white fish or my blue possible sick female fish to my new 10 gallon. I was crying my eyes out because the blue fish looked like she as going to die tonight. Even after 3 days I am so attached to these fish. If anything happened to them, I'd be so sad. So I decided that even if the blue fish is sick being in the huge tank would make her really happy and she would hold on through the night. I tell ya, when I added her to the tank she regained all of her life and started swimming around just like 2 days ago. That fish is so happy. Probably because she has a whole 10 gallons all to herself. I'm glad I made my decision. She is so much happier.
Tomarrow I'm going to go pick up medicine just in case. I'm not sure what kind to get though. Her symptoms were: inactivity, swimming slow, not eating, and laying on the bottom of the tank a lot. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also I think I've been over feeding them. I've been feeding them four pellets everyday, but they are females and smaller. I've decided I'll feed them 2-4 pellets every other day. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
No, you should try to feed your betta every day. What brand of pellets are you using? A lot of the pellets on the market aren't the best for bettas because they contain a lot of fillers. Remember that bettas are carnivores and need lots of protein. :)

My females get 4-5 micro pellets each once a day and they seem to thrive on it. I use New Life Spectrum and occasionally treat them to frozen bloodworms.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No, you should try to feed your betta every day. What brand of pellets are you using? A lot of the pellets on the market aren't the best for bettas because they contain a lot of fillers. Remember that bettas are carnivores and need lots of protein. :)

My females get 4-5 micro pellets each once a day and they seem to thrive on it. I use New Life Spectrum and occasionally treat them to frozen bloodworms.
So you feed them all in one sitting? Or do you feed them throughout the day. That's what I was doing before. The food I'm using is called Aqeon Betta Food. It contains meat. The bottle says to feed several times daily in small amounts that will be consumed by fish within 3 minutes. A lot of people I've read feed them every other day. Maybe it depends on the species.
My blue fish has been acting a little weird. I don't think he can be fed 4 pellets everyday. But the white fish seems like he can be fed 4 every day without getting bad symptoms. The only thing I've seen weird about the white fish is that she'll swim abnormally. I don't ever see them poop so that's why I want to try and experiment (while being humane! I'm not going to stave them). By doing this I can see what works better for the both of them.
They are both girls I just refer to my blue fish as being a 'he'.
Lol my blue fish isn't use to the filter in the tank yet. It's funny to watch him be swimming and then all of sudden swoop. He gets picked up by the current.
I'm going to try feeding them 3 everyday. And see if that works because one pellet is consumed in 2 minutes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My fish really enjoys the real plant I put in. They are not much money ethier so I think I'm going to buy some more for both of my betas.

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
was your previous tank cycled? if not what you saw was a reaction to the ammonia finally building up..which I might add happened rather fast in a small non cycled tank..then putting into a clean 10 she was happy because the water wasn't poisonous. You may want to read up on the cycle as it'll happen in your 10g too ..itll just take a bit longer to be toxic.
Do you have a liquid testing kit?
You are going to need to do water changes of at least 50% every couple days till you get past the ammonia and nitrIte spikes. use prime as your water conditioner to help her deal with your fish in cycling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
was your previous tank cycled? if not what you saw was a reaction to the ammonia finally building up..which I might add happened rather fast in a small non cycled tank..then putting into a clean 10 she was happy because the water wasn't poisonous. You may want to read up on the cycle as it'll happen in your 10g too ..itll just take a bit longer to be toxic.
Do you have a liquid testing kit?
You are going to need to do water changes of at least 50% every couple days till you get past the ammonia and nitrIte spikes. use prime as your water conditioner to help her deal with your fish in cycling.
During when the fish was acting wierd, the water was not foggy or anything. Could the ammonia levels have been a little over what it should've been and that's why the fish was sick? And Actually I decided to add safe start just the other day into my tank and 24 hours later In both of my tanks I got a bacterial bloom. I know it can be harmful to the fish with the ammonia and nitrate spike. So I took my fish out. They are chilling in the cup they came in. I hate to put them in there but it's only until the tanks cycle. I need to change their water ever day because ammonia could build up fast in such a small cup. I read that the tanks can cycle by themselves without doing the water changes. And it said I just need to wait for it to clear up. is that not recommended?
Thank you so much for giving me information! It's difficult to research about fish care because a lot of people say to do different things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts