Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I will never trust a pet store/aquarium store employee again, unless the store's bettas are kept as well as I keep my own.

I am not being mean, but genuinely wondering why you'd buy a second sick fish? I really get that feeling of wanting to save them all, but - you can't. And giving people money for abusing bettas is only supporting that behaviour.

My daughter went back to our local store to 'save' a betta from their filthy conditions, which I obviously don't agree with. My one stipulation was that it had to be healthiest fish she could find, to save her the heartbreak of it maybe dying right away. We are both sad to have left all the other lovely fish behind, but handing these people money is doing nothing to help all the fish we can't save.

Supporting a local breeder or a store that does practise humane care for bettas seems more proactive, to me. Not telling you what to do, but it really concerns me that abusive stores are getting paid to be abusive.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I totally understand, I have the same conflict. It makes me so, so mad that these idiots put us in that position in the first place - save the fish, or know we're leaving them to die.

But there's hundreds of thousands of abused bettas out there, and we can't save all of them. It's just not possible, for anyone. I told my daughter (who cried in the store the day we bought her betta) that it's better to buy the healthy one, if she must 'save' a fish - because he sure as sugar won't be healthy in a week. Luckily, he was new stock and had nothing worse than a little fin damage. We're both still upset at leaving behind the other fish, who are no doubt now dead or suffering badly.

After that, she kind of got my point. Betta welfare is such a massive problem, because it involves uncaring people making money off of their cruel practises. I'm working out ways I can help people to learn about basic, proper betta care, and making a complaint about that store to animal welfare as well. Those things, imo, will help many more bettas than I can ever afford or manage to save.

If you're in high school, maybe you could talk one of the science teachers into allowing the school to keep a betta properly, since it's an air-breather and kind of unusual, and involves learning about water chemistry. The other kids might get to see, then, not only how to look after one properly, but why they are so amazing. Just an idea, but there's lots and lots of things we can do to raise public awareness, which is the central problem where betta abuse is concerned.

Kudos for being such a caring person. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.