Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May 1st I bought a Tetra 10 gallon LED starter kit.I did this thinking I would plant the tank. The first thing I did was replace the junk filter that came with the tank and replaced it with a Penguin 100 bio wheel. Then I put in a 75 watt heater set for 78 degrees. The tank cover has two LED light strips about 3 inches long. Gives off a nice light for the tank. My Question here is How do I know if the lighting of this tank is enough for plants? I have started the cycle with API Quick start to start the bacteria. I have a mix of Fluorite and natural gravel. within the next few weeks I will want to start adding plants. What I don"t know is which plants do I get for this type of lighting? How do you tell what you need? In the end I will also house another betta but this will only happen when I know the tank is stable. Can anyone give any information.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have seen it suggested on some websites planted tanks being started emersed opposed to totally submersed so that they can get the naturally occurring CO2 from the air. I don't have any reference sites available but if you google search it will yield several results.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great question, I would like to know what effect LED lighting has on plants as well. Anyone? Until I know, i will be purchasing low light plants.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen some lighting fixtures in adds that have LED grow lighting and most of those are the bright white and have about 40 LED lights in the strip. and some even give the lighting measurements in Kelvin as 6000 K I think that would be a very bright light and for much bigger tanks. I guess what I need to do is give my friend at Pet place a call and ask a pro. I also added a small Halogen light off to the side and I hope when the tank cycles I will have the answers as to how much light I will need for my plants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts