Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I just got my first betta from petsmart. I used a bacteria supplement and a water conditioner, just put the heater in to warm up the water.

I'm using a 1 gallon acrylic bowl.

Now my question is how long do I have to wait until I can add my betta? I feel sorry for him having to stay in his little cup :(.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you look in the care section, there's a thread about when you first bring your fish home called: your new betta day 1.

Reactions: MaxGreenMDE

·
Registered
249 Posts
And congrats on your new fish! Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'm so nervous I'm gonna kill it lol I want to make sure I don't shock him :( but I don't like him sitting in this little cup. It makes me sad..the pet care associate told me to wait until monday to put him in so the water has time to get all bacteria or something. So I got the bacteria supplement and the conditioner so I wouldn't have to wait as long. I sadly don't have a thermometer though :( I wasn't told I needed one!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well a tank of that size is really not going to hold a bacteria cycle. After you have the water conditioned, float the cup in there for about 30 mins. Then pour out some of the water and add a little of the tank water. This is to help adjust you fish to the water parameters( ph,softness,ect.) repeat this process for about 1 and a half to 2 hours. Then gently net your fish into his bowl. YOU don't want any of his cup water on his bowl because it can carry disease from the store. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well a tank of that size is really not going to hold a bacteria cycle. After you have the water conditioned, float the cup in there for about 30 mins. Then pour out some of the water and add a little of the tank water. This is to help adjust you fish to the water parameters( ph,softness,ect.) repeat this process for about 1 and a half to 2 hours. Then gently net your fish into his bowl. YOU don't want any of his cup water on his bowl because it can carry disease from the store. Hope this helps!
Thanks this is helpful. Just one more question, do I have to wait until the water warms up before doing this? I'm sorry for being dumb about this I just want to make sure he's happy and comfortable. BTW if you want to see him I just posted his photo in the pics forum :D

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Is there any way you can return the bacterial supplement? It really doesn't do anything, unfortunately. It won't hurt, but it won't help, either. As Dew says, a one gallon tank won't hold the cycle, especially without a filter.

By the way, Dew, that is a stunning fish.

And welcome to the forum, Max. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's ok that's what the forum is here for! :) It's ok to let him start floating now and let the temp come up slowly. Is it a pre set heater?

Reactions: MaxGreenMDE

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's ok that's what the forum is here for! :) It's ok to let him start floating now and let the temp come up slowly. Is it a pre set heater?
yes it's a pre-set. it's one that says it will warm the tank up 5-10f more than room temp.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do you know what temp the room is?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know what temp the room is?
All I can say there is I'm in the upstairs room and it generally is cold (which is why i got the heater in the first place).

We keep our furnace on 70 degrees but we're still cold because of us having no insulation so I knew for my fish to survive I would definitely need a good heater.

here's the heater i got

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=16711

·
Registered
249 Posts
Maybe tommorow you can return it and get an ajustable one. I got mine for under 20$. That way you can know what temp it's on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe tommorow you can return it and get an ajustable one. I got mine for under 20$. That way you can know what temp it's on.
yeah that works, but would it be safe to put him in tonight or should i leave him in the cup?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would suggest you put him tonight. It will at least be warmer than that cup. Post more pics if you can!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would suggest you put him tonight. It will at least be warmer than that cup. Post more pics if you can!
sure thing i have him sitting in bobbing around now! My tank isn't all pretty yet cuz i haven't had the chance to buy decor. Just the beads for the bottom. Gonna be getting the decor and stuff later because I have a purple and blue theme I'm going for lol.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Very nice! Keep us updated?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He's in his tank now. Seems to like it :) I like that he's staying more towards the bottom at the moment probably because it's warmer since that's where the heater is setting.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's great ! If you have a light I would not turn it on for now do you don't stress him out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's great ! If you have a light I would not turn it on for now do you don't stress him out.
yeah there is no light to this tank and i don't actually intend on getting one. I've heard lights over-heating the small 1 gallon tanks before so I decided to get one without a light.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts