Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently got my new betta Piscis. He is a male dumbo betta and seems to be really shy. Is this normal? He keeps hiding in a little lantern but he looks healthy. He is in a 10 gallon filtered and heated tank. My other betta never really did this and he is always swimming around. Do you think he is just getting used to his tank or are some fish just really shy?

·
Super Moderator
21,856 Posts
He's getting used to his environment. He may not eat for a few days, either. Use a turkey baster to remove food he doesn't eat.

When budget allows, get him more plants. Betta are low-light, shade-loving fish. A good Betta tank is around 75% plants or as the old saying goes: "If you can see your Betta at a glance you don't have enough plants." :)

·
Banned
222 Posts
Handsome fishy!

Just to answer your question asking if some betta are shy - well I've got one that was shy for months. He's in a planted tank..he spent most of his time hiding somewhere.

One day a little female moved into the tank next door. Ever since he saw her (there's cardboard between tanks but I occasionally let them see each other) he came out of his shell and is a completely different fish.

It's so funny, he suddenly became Mr. Gregarious!

He's still an odd fish. She's over the moon for him - displaying vertical bars when she sees him - but he's only built a lame half hearted nest once Lol.

Sorry for going off topic. Point is, when I was trying to understand why he was so shy, folks here reminded me that every Betta has a different personality, and sometimes you wind up with a shy one.

Not suggesting you've got a shy fish - I would heed the advice of @RussellTheShihTzu. Give him some time and add some plants.

If you happen to be on Reddit there's a sub called "Aquaswap" and there's loads of "beginner friendly" low tech plant packages for cheap.

Although I know Russel doesn't have luck with "beginner" plants....haha I can't grow Java moss for squat and that's supposed to be stupid easy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Handsome fishy!

Just to answer your question asking if some betta are shy - well I've got one that was shy for months. He's in a planted tank..he spent most of his time hiding somewhere.

One day a little female moved into the tank next door. Ever since he saw her (there's cardboard between tanks but I occasionally let them see each other) he came out of his shell and is a completely different fish.

It's so funny, he suddenly became Mr. Gregarious!

He's still an odd fish. She's over the moon for him - displaying vertical bars when she sees him - but he's only built a lame half hearted nest once Lol.

Sorry for going off topic. Point is, when I was trying to understand why he was so shy, folks here reminded me that every Betta has a different personality, and sometimes you wind up with a shy one.

Not suggesting you've got a shy fish - I would heed the advice of @RussellTheShihTzu. Give him some time and add some plants.

If you happen to be on Reddit there's a sub called "Aquaswap" and there's loads of "beginner friendly" low tech plant packages for cheap.

Although I know Russel doesn't have luck with "beginner" plants....haha I can't grow Java moss for squat and that's supposed to be stupid easy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for the advice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really nice looking betta, i am jealous 😉 Give him few days as an adjustment period, i am sure he just needs some time adjust to his new environment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's getting used to his environment. He may not eat for a few days, either. Use a turkey baster to remove food he doesn't eat.

When budget allows, get him more plants. Betta are low-light, shade-loving fish. A good Betta tank is around 75% plants or as the old saying goes: "If you can see your Betta at a glance you don't have enough plants." :)
Ok, I will look into getting more plants, thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had three Bettas in three separate tanks at one point, in addition to my community tank. The first one I ever had is the only one still with me, and it's been about 5 years now since I brought him home. All three had totally different personalities: one actually let me pet him - but the longest lived guy is still as shy and anti-social as ever. Beautiful colors, but not very friendly. I still love him though :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts