Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love having a sorority... I can't wait to upgrade them!!!!

My 3 corries have now been added to the sorority (they are officially done with QT)... the girls have been ignoring them and they even swim nearby each other

The girls (they think they are getting fed, lol)

There are six girls in this sorority... and all piled up to beg for food, lol

And the purpose of the photoshoot.... to try to get a better picture of Dancer, my "oops" male betta from Darkmoon

·
Registered
150 Posts
Love I'd girls my tag is the one with the teal colored tail

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I'm so about to pack my bags and move to America. Not only is our dollar now on par with yours, but you guys have access to such beautiful fish.

I have been looking everywhere for some females like your green and white marble. Now I just need to invent a teleportation machine so I can come and steal all your girls :mrgreen:

This is me assuming you are actually American since it appears that is the majority on here.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, they are from Cajunamy's spawn... I LOVE them...
This is Echo, the boy I got from that spawn:

Echo- marble HMPK- male (blue, green, white, orange...)
He's hard to get pictures of so I put him in the sorority... (flaoting in a cup)

and then took him out and held him in natural light

Im seriously considering breeding Merle and Echo... I just LOVE marbles, lol, we'll se how everything goes after my first spawn

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do it!!! Its SO much fun!!!!

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
He's a cute little boy and they should make some interesting coloured fry.

Once I can find a blue and white marble or solid blue HMPK male with good form and no red wash I'm going to set-up a spawning tank. I have all these nice imported females, but no matching males.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should see their parents, Lol, dad was a blue/white Halfmoon Dragon PK and mom was a SD (long finned) marble (blue green, and orange).... they made some GREAT fry and I hope to breed them in the future.. hopefully I can end up with some long finned HM males (LOVE HM marbles)

·
Registered
671 Posts
GORGEOUS GROUP OF FEMALE BETTAS.

How many gallons are they in? The tank looks very big. I'm starting a 6 girl sorority in a 10 gallon in April. Can't wait! :D

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a 10 gallon
... for now ;-)
I have a 29 gallon sitting empty (fry grow out once I start breeding) and my bf wants to get a 100 gallon once we move out of the apartment (he wants a 100 gallon sorority <3 )

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know :) he has been talking about the 100 gallon for awhile, but it wasn't until I caught him sitting in front of the sorority tank that he said he wanted to do a sorority in it :) I love him :)

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I have this bargain 4ft 105 gallon tank on my bedroom floor that was originally intended for goldfish, but that is tempting me to either stock with all these imported fancy guppies or a sorority. I have around 20 females and I think one giant sorority tank would be awesome.

I have this 200 litre tub I'm hoping to plant out as a pond and introduce a pair of bettas out for the rest of summer and see if they spawn out there.

I think the dream would be to have a 100 gallon sorority consisting solely of homebred bettas. That would be cool.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the dream would be to have a 100 gallon sorority consisting solely of homebred bettas. That would be cool.

Thats my plan :) I'll start breeding my first pair in about a month and Im SO excited, last few supplies have just been ordered and once they get here I will condition the pair (undecided currently, I have a buyer who Im going to let chose since she is setting up a 150 gallon sorority <---- my DREAM)

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Haha good luck. I have to admit I find the idea of having so many fry daunting. I only just got the hang of vinegar eels and microworms. Hatching BBS terrifies me.

That is why I wanted to go the outside 'survival-of-the-fittest' route. The only summer I'm ready to do it and the night temperature dips down to 15 degrees Celsius :doh!:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I have seen the BBS don't seem to hard...

This is the tutorial I found and I plan on using:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sNx9zTOnQ

I think OFL breeds outside.... not sure if she feeds them or lets the mosquitos and live plants do the job (that would be awesome though)

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
My BBS hatcheries always end up leaking because I invariably forget to silicone the end around the airline tubing.

I was going to seed the bottom of the pond with lots of blackworms to eat detritus and any dead fish, as well as provide food for the bigger ones. I will also put some food like microworms and BBS in to supplement their diets.

Hopefully your breeding endeavors work out. It's always nice knowing that you raised a fish from fry to adulthood.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol, its always the smallest thing that is forgotten isnt it?

Thank you :) I have my fingers crossed, I love the idea of watching them go from little white... fry.... into magnificant bettas with amazing coloring :) I have been thinking about this for a while... lol

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you do that and they're all apart of the same fry you MIGHT be able to get away with keeping the males together as long as you N E V E R take them out away from each other :) My old teacher had a 15g with 5 males that never even had tattered fins, they were all in the same fry and lived together for life, but he originally had 7 & took 2 out to treat them (somehow they got ich before it got to the rest of the tank) & when he put them back in, the rest of the males attacked them like crazy. So NEVER seperate them if you do do that, and either way I would do some serioussssssssss research before you do. I'll try to get pics the next time I see him! :)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Please do!
I've heard of a few others doing that with spawn brothers.... but some males DO get to aggressive

1 - 20 of 26 Posts