Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Some bettas just wont tolerate anything in their home. It looks like your boy is one of them. I have one like that. Conversely, I have six others which will tolerate a whole lot, and several who really seem to enjoy their 'minions' and ruling their 'kingdom' and go and check up on everyone, or lay on the snails when they're on the wall.

If you want to stick with snails, Nerites are much better protected and eat algae moreso than Mystery/Apple snails do. Their feelers also tend to be longer and less likely to be nipped at than Apple snails.

Otherwise, you could try ghost shrimp if you give them some coverage, subwassertang and other liverworts & mosses are great for this, as well as rock caves and wood bridges, or cholla wood. They're pretty cheap, so even if he does snack on them once in awhile, you can often get replacements at LFS for under 30c each as they are typically feeders. They clean up great and are surprisingly entertaining.

Almost all of my fish tolerate them. This does not mean yours will.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Mine do the same thing with guppy fry... I've seen Hart in my bedroom play tug-o-war over a flake with one and lose. And swim away. And today, Grumpy swam alongside a ghost shrimp for about 2 minutes before it jumping off of his head. Some of them really don't care.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.