Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my three veil tail female bettas for months. Unsure how many, I lost count. xP

They seem pretty healthy. They swim around,eat, etc... but problems have been popping up for the last couple of months.

The first was with Zetta. Zetta is bi-colored, there is another word to describe her but I forgot. When I bought her from Petco she was white with purplish pink fins and "cheeks" if you will. The pink started to fade though as she grew. The color had left her tail clear and was starting to disappear on her dorsal and anal fin. The past week it started to come back. On the tail is two purple specks that just appeared. I have no idea how or why this is happening.

Then there's Ritz and Ruby, they are both red. Ritz clenches her tail together sometimes. It happens when she stops swimming, but it does not happen every time she pauses. Ruby only lightly clenches her tail not as much as Ritz.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. ^^'

I have a 10 gallon tank with a heater, light, and filter. Temperature is usually 80-82 it may fall to 76 degrees. I usually clean it every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Wait... are all three females in the same tank without a divider? If that is the case, this is the cause of your problems. When keeping a tank of betta females, you should have more than 5 together and the tank should also be heavily decorated with tall plants. Keeping any less than that will result in stressed fish. Loosing color and clamped fins are signs of stress.

Have you read about cycling? Is your tank cycled?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
At least 4, safely. Three can be very stressful. I highly recommend to stuff that tank! =D TONS pf plants, live and soft fake ones make a great hideaway spot for any refugee female :) hidey holes, and all that =D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not read about cycling, so I'm unsure if my tank is or not. I will try to find out though.

Yes, they are in a tank together, before i got them a person told me that its fine, just as long as they are in odd numbers. Apparently they didn't know what they were talking about. My tank isn't heavily decorated but there is fake plants, some tall some short. And two other decorations they use to hide.

I don't think I can add anymore fish in the tank, right? Would a 15 gallons tall tank work? Or would it have to be 20 gallons tall?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Sena Hensler, sorry I did not see your post. Yay, now I have an excuse to go to the pet store! XD

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
You can have a 10 gallon, for up to 8 females. But, if you wanted a bigger tank DON'T go for a tall, IMO. you will want to go for a long, or a regular. They'll scout out territory remember :) Long before regular, regular before tall... Bettas like wide better than tall.

hahaha yay excuses :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay ^^ That helps a lot.

Would you happen to know a store that sells freshwater plants? XD I'm hoping to buy Java moss to help stuff the tank.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Most stores that carry fish, like petsmart, petcetera (canada only?), petco, etc. Just if you do NOT want snails, give them a good swish and rinse in aquarium water.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Also look for Anubias and Wisteria. Both can be used floating or tied down. You don't even have to plant them Good top cover and for hides.

After three months with three fish, your tank may be cycled, but most likely not. Spend some of that cash on an API Master test kit, so that you can check your three important parameters: ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes. It is also good to know your pH.

Amazon has it for around $20.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sena- Thanks! At my local Petsmart they have a tank full of plants, I haven't been there in a while. Hopefully they have good plants though!

Hallyx- I'm guessing the paper test strips are unreliable? I did a little test of my own with some test strips from Jungle, and they didn't even change color!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
The reason behind test strips being not as reliable as liquid tests, is that the environment can change the outcome. So, dry weather, damp weather, water damage, chemicals in the air, contaminants, age, etc all alter what you get on strips.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That makes sense. Wow, don't I sound intelligent xD

All three of my fish have fin rot, luckily not the advanced version, I have treated them with Doc Wellfish's aquarium salt. The directions on the package said one tablespoon for every 5 gallons, therefore I put two tablespoons of salt for my 10 gal tank.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
That's right :) Dissolve before adding!! Otherwise it burns them. Just to make sure :p

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Temperature is usually 80-82 it may fall to 76 degrees.
.. why's that fluctuation happening? That might be part of it as well..

Try upping your water changes to once a week. Fin rot comes from too much ammonia/stress/temp shifts/ph shifts, etc lowering the fish's natural immunity to bacteria that are pretty much found in every tank.. Clean water (test that ammonia every few days! The acceptable amount of ammonia is 0..) and at a stable temp of 80 will go a long way to healing their fin issues and avoiding stressful medications.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Teaspoon or Tablespoon? I've heard it's teaspoon for AQ Salt.
For serious finrot or scale damage, the amount I see most recommended around here is 1 tsp/gallon. That's one teaspoon per gallon. While you can go lower, there is a minimum dose below which AQ is not effective as treatment but still has it's bad side effects, like kidney damage stomach problems.
That is also why salt treatment is not recommended to continue past about ten days.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
It's teaspoon per gallon, for bigger tanks it can be 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts