Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a heater for my 1 gallon tank so I did a water change my fish was doing good until about an hour after I put him in I did it properly slowly introducing him to the water he started hanging out towards the bottom, breathing a lot, and coming up to get air more than normal hes not moving and currently lying in his side I touch the water he swims around. Did a water test and everything is perfect. Is he in shock should I turn the lights off? Help I don’t think he’s going to make it!!

·
Registered
Too many schooling fish/snails to count and 9 bettas
35 Posts
Hey there, could you fill out the tank information/care form and attach it so people can get a better understanding of the whole situation. Also, did you use a water conditioner?
Here's the form:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79°
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, air stone
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Dosent have any mates I just put a Java fern plant in there that’s when he started acting weird

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?BettaMin Flake Medley
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change? I change the whole tank
when you perform a water change What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Start right water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite:20ppm
Nitrate:20ppm
pH:0ppm
Hardness: not sure
Alkalinity: not sure

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No appearance change
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lying on his side at the bottom of tank, breathing heavily, and going up for air more than normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 hours ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not sure what to do
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Just got him last week

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok there is a lot to unpack. A one gallon tank is not suitable for a betta, it cannot hold a proper cycle. 5 gallons would be much preferred. Even on a larger tank water changes should be preformed weekly. With this being a one gallon tank I would say do a 60-80% water change ever day/every other day. 100% of the water should never be removed, as you need to take the fish out for and that is best avoided due to the stress it can cause. Nitrite is toxic and should be at 0ppm. The presence of nitrites shows that your tank is not properly cycled. Nitrate seems fine just keep it 20ppm and below.

There is no nice way to put this, we all make mistakes, but the water quality you have is bad. The poor water quality weakens you betta's immune system and makes them more likely to get all types of diseases. I would start but doing water changes as I described and trying to upgrade ASAP. The nitrogen cycle is very important and without it fish cannot thrive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok there is a lot to unpack. A one gallon tank is not suitable for a betta, it cannot hold a proper cycle. 5 gallons would be much preferred. Even on a larger tank water changes should be preformed weekly. With this being a one gallon tank I would say do a 60-80% water change ever day/every other day. 100% of the water should never be removed, as you need to take the fish out for and that is best avoided due to the stress it can cause. Nitrite is toxic and should be at 0ppm. The presence of nitrites shows that your tank is not properly cycled. Nitrate seems fine just keep it 20ppm and below.

There is no nice way to put this, we all make mistakes, but the water quality you have is bad. The poor water quality weakens you betta's immune system and makes them more likely to get all types of diseases. I would start but doing water changes as I described and trying to upgrade ASAP. The nitrogen cycle is very important and without it fish cannot thrive.
Is there anyway to save him I have him in his original container

·
Super Moderator
1,467 Posts
Your water parameters are a bit odd for a one gallon that’s one week old so I feel like you may have gotten a false reading there.
To me it sounds like there may have been something on the plant or on your hand when you put it in. I never recommend 100% water changes but if it was my fish that’s what I would do. Someone else may have different thought on that but to me it seems like something has contaminated his tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you know what might be happening
[/
Is there anyway to save him I have him in his original container
In his cup from the store? That seems lest than a gallon. To help you can keep his water quality as clean as possible (again, not 100% water changes) any container that you can put him in like a bucket would be better. Also I'd recommend Seachem Prime if you can access it as it stuns ammonia and nitrate temporarily. His heavy breathing and lethargy sounds like a reaction to poor water quality. I hope he turns out ok 💗

1 - 12 of 12 Posts