Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my betta's name is Carl and I bought him February 4th. He is the 2nd betta I've ever owned and the first one died to my poor knowledge on how to care for Bettas.
He lives in a heated 3.5 gallon tank with a small API filter. I feed him once a day in the morning: 2 little pellets, and one day out of the week i treat him a freeze dried blood worm.
He is probably the most interactive, hyper, fierce Betta i have ever seen. He is very lively, and he builds bubble nests all the time. I do a 50%-70% water change once a week, and a 100% water change once a month.
Yesterday i noticed his dorsal and caudal fins are like EXTREMELY tattered and ripped. I am confused on whether its fin loss or fin rot. They look like maybe he gets caught in the filter, but when i started the aquarium i put a piece of a plant behind it so he can't even reach back there. I have smooth stones, and all plastic plants. But honestly all the plants are really soft, and don't have sharp edges poking out or anything.
It has started to get pretty warm here in Dallas and when i got home yesterday his water temp was like 84 so i turned off his heater and it cooled down. I put BettaFix in his water every morning, but it doesn't look like it has helped.
Everything else is normal, his behavior is not of a betta that is sick or battling infection.
I am really concerned because he looks really bad, and I am not sure what to do.
Do i need to change the filter to a smaller slower one?
Do i need to buy him medication?
What are the steps i need to take?
Someone experienced, help me please :(

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,225 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts