Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been in the aquarium hobby for about two years now, and I have had my betta for 1 year. My betta fish had fin rot that I started noticing a few months ago. I first treated it with melafix, and did not have much luck, so I set up a five gallon hospital tank and treated him with API em erythromycin. It has been about a week since I have finished treating him with that, and he is now back in his normal five gallon aquarium. He now seems to have some fuzzy parts on his fins, so I thought it might be fungus so I have been treating him with betta fix for about four days. Now he also spends lots of time at the bottom of the tank on his side. last night I fed him and he did not come up to the surface as he usually does. the last few nights he looked like he was struggling a little to reach the surface.

please help :
7DDBB58F-4311-4B4E-9F0E-071B9708DAB0.jpeg
40EF7B23-5E6D-42A4-9FAE-E73F852A7726.jpeg
D0E52553-1125-46C3-AE88-A87EF6EB8150.jpeg
7F9FCAC8-892A-4434-97AC-2097FC9924AC.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
565 Posts
Hi! Please fill out a form

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Hi, great! So I can't exactly see much from the picture, so if you could get a few more that would be great. Especially one from the top down (birds eye view) so I can see if he is underweight.

So in the meantime, here are a few tips regarding his care.

-75 degrees is a bit cool, any way you could raise the temperature to around 77-78?
-2 otos in a 5 gal is a lot. They really need to be in schools of 6+ with at least a 10 preferably 20 gal tank.
-Switch to fluval pellets fulltime as topfin has really low-quality pellets. Feed 2x daily.
-Up water changes to 2x weekly 25% water changes
-Do you know the ammonia levels?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, great! So I can't exactly see much from the picture, so if you could get a few more that would be great. Especially one from the top down (birds eye view) so I can see if he is underweight.

-75 degrees is a bit cool, any way you could raise the temperature to around 77-78?
-2 otos in a 5 gal is a lot. They really need to be in schools of 6+ with at least a 10 preferably 20 gal tank.
-Switch to fluval pellets fulltime as topfin has really low-quality pellets. Feed 2x daily.
Ok ammonia is 0ppm and I will start only feeding the fluval

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

EDF40DB0-7493-46D7-960C-FA1C98709E28.jpeg
EDF40DB0-7493-46D7-960C-FA1C98709E28.jpeg
3992E196-32F2-4F2D-8716-F9E40B20E6D2.jpeg

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
She does look a little skinny. Up feedings to 2x daily. Have the otos been nipping at her fins?

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
If he were my fish I would put him in his own tank. He’s either biting his own fins or the oto’s are picking on him, which would be my guess. We often don’t see the aggression. I would also second that I think he looks quite thin. If you can, try feeding him small amounts throughout the whole day. Like 2-3 pellets every few hours until he gets some strength back. I’d maybe move to twice a day when he’s stronger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If he were my fish I would put him in his own tank. He’s either biting his own fins or the oto’s are picking on him, which would be my guess. We often don’t see the aggression. I would also second that I think he looks quite thin. If you can, try feeding him small amounts throughout the whole day. Like 2-3 pellets every few hours until he gets some strength back. I’d maybe move to twice a day when he’s stronger.
You don’t think it’s fin rot?

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
I would up the cleanings to 25% every other day until you start to see healing. I’d also up the feedings to 3-4 small feeds a day. Maybe try adding some blood worms a couple times a week. I’m no expert but that’s what I would do.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I would up the cleanings to 25% every other day until you start to see healing. I’d also up the feedings to 3-4 small feeds a day. Maybe try adding some blood worms a couple times a week. I’m no expert but that’s what I would do.
Agreed, adding Indian Almond Leaves and Stress Coat can help. I would also remove the otos.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Agreed, adding Indian Almond Leaves and Stress Coat can help. I would also remove the otos.
Yes I forgot the IAL or roobois tea (decaf). I believe the betta has already been separated from the oto’s but I might be wrong. If not I definitely second removing them. It’s my opinion that they are a large part of the problem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is what I did with my girl that got her fins destroyed by a ghost shrimp. First I put her in a 2.5 gallon hospital tank added AIL and I fasted her for a couple days but that was because she was dealing with sbd and that’s why the shrimp was going after her from laying on the tank bottom hiding. Then I read that daphnia was good at helping regrowth of fins. So first day of food was small amount of daphnia 2x that day. Next day first meal daphnia and a couple pellets. She started growing her fins back but I noticed there was a white string like coming from the top of the tail and one from the bottom of the tail trailing behind her when she started swimming around. It had been 72 hrs so she was due for water change. I did between 50-75% water change. Put her back in added a little stress coat and the white stringy stuff disappeared. Hasn’t seen it since. I am still feeding her a little bit of daphnia every other day along with regular food. I feed omega one betta buffet. Only reason I feed that it was what I was told they were feeding my male when I got him. I also added a cave for her to go in and a fake plant that is not plastic or silk very flowing and soft. She now has a live plant since looks like this is going to be her home from now on. She is doing great. You can see pic of her on the thread fin issues before and about 1 week later. Sorry this is so long but this is what I did and I’m just a newbie to bettas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is what I did with my girl that got her fins destroyed by a ghost shrimp. First I put her in a 2.5 gallon hospital tank added AIL and I fasted her for a couple days but that was because she was dealing with sbd and that’s why the shrimp was going after her from laying on the tank bottom hiding. Then I read that daphnia was good at helping regrowth of fins. So first day of food was small amount of daphnia 2x that day. Next day first meal daphnia and a couple pellets. She started growing her fins back but I noticed there was a white string like coming from the top of the tail and one from the bottom of the tail trailing behind her when she started swimming around. It had been 72 hrs so she was due for water change. I did between 50-75% water change. Put her back in added a little stress coat and the white stringy stuff disappeared. Hasn’t seen it since. I am still feeding her a little bit of daphnia every other day along with regular food. I feed omega one betta buffet. Only reason I feed that it was what I was told they were feeding my male when I got him. I also added a cave for her to go in and a fake plant that is not plastic or silk very flowing and soft. She now has a live plant since looks like this is going to be her home from now on. She is doing great. You can see pic of her on the thread fin issues before and about 1 week later. Sorry this is so long but this is what I did and I’m just a newbie to bettas.
Ok cool, I forgot to add that I do have a ghost shrimp as well, I will separate them today.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts