Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey every one so my betta looked fine just about a week ago and a couple days ago i noticed that his top fin is gone and it looks like somthing bit it off but the top of the tank is closed and hes the only fish in there; i had a fish that was in this bowl and he got sick too... could it be the bowl??? i moved him into his old tank, and ive been using the bettafix and changing the water every 3 days. please help me.. idk whats wrong with him

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi, we're going to need you to answer all these questions so we can help you better.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 1/2 gal.. in smaller tank now tail fins looking better top fin still bad

What temperature is your tank? 76

Does your tank have a filter? no

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no

Is your tank heated? no but its right next to my big tank thats heated so it stays between 76 and 78
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? just him self

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? the little betta pelets/flakes from petco, and every other day live brine shrimp

How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 3-5days

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75% to all depending on when the last one was

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? the clorine remover thats it and i wait about an hour befor i put him back in

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins look like there tearing, top fin looks like somthing bit him but that imposible so idk what up with that

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hasnt, just cant swim cause of his top fin being completly gone

When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week ago i noticed his fins where tearing, now top fin is gone

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? ive been doing more water changes and Bettafix by API

Does your fish have any history of being ill? no

How old is your fish (approximately)? almost 2

OK, so i answered these question now will someone tell me whats wrong with my little friend???? i need to know whats wrong so he dosent die on me, i have pictures hasnt anyone seen this befor???

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Do the ends of his fins look different? Like black or bloody?

Also, is he having trouble swimming? You mention he can't swim because of his top fin being gone.. I have a betta whom we thing tore off his own dorsal (we found part of it) and he swims fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
his back fins are torn but there not black or bloody. and yeah hes having troubles swimming he kind of wabbles? idk if thats the right term, but he wabbles when he swims and he's been laying at the bottom of the tank... he is eating tho thats really the only time i see him swim
here are some more pics

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well his other fins where looking progressivly worse, so i started him on bettafix and there looking better. but his top fin isnt getting any better and he's never bit off his fins bofor, what would make him bite at his own fins???

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bettas may bite their fins for many reasons. Usually it's stress or boredom. I like to change around tank decor and draw on the tank with dry erase markers. It keeps Kyle pretty occupied. Might want to try flaring him once or twice a day as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so until last week i was using furan-2 by API and it wasnt working. i started to use salt and im using Melafix by API(all natural) and his sore on his top fin is gone... but there hasnt been any fin regrowth

he's still been laying at the bottom of the tank but he is coming to the top to eat, im no longer hand feeding him.

Does anyone know when i will start to see fin regrowth?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I think it varies by fish. At first you will see transparent pieces of fin near at the tip of the damaged part.

Be careful with bettafix/melefix, it contains a tree oil that can harm their breathing organ, However alot of people say it really worked for them - just be careful with it and don't OD on it.

If he is bitting his fin, it can be caused by several things - anger, boredom, stress or just because he can. If he is bitting because he can or because his tail is too heavy, there isnt anything you can do about it. Its like a human bitting his nails. Just keep the water clean and if you do use AQUARIUM SALT - do not use it for more then 10 days. I can damage internal organs. Its one teaspoon per gallon.

What concerns me more is not the fins, they will regrow - but his laying on the bottom of the tank. That is NEVER a good sign.

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? the little betta pelets/flakes from petco, and every other day live brine shrimp
I am wondering if his "wobblyness" is caused by Swim bladder disease - which is caused by over feeding. pellets are ok, but the flakes can cause bloating because its easy to overfeed on them. If it is SBD, AQ salt can make it worse. Until someone posts otherwise, I suggest fasting him for a day and see if he swims better. Does he look bloated/big belly? Cant tell from the pics...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so maybe 3 days ago my little betta P.D (the one whos all these questions where all about lol) well anyways he got him self off the bottom of the tank and is now swimming around, his fins are growing back hes eating on his own yay im soo happy my little guy made it!

so in the last 3 months i''ve: spent at least $25 in meds, bought him a new and bigger tank, had to pick him up and hand feed him for about a month and it was all worth it because my little fishy friend is still with me and i get to see him everyday

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so I know most of you wont care but is been more than a year since my little guy had gotten sick, other than his fins not fully growing back he mad a full recovery and stayed healthy for more than a year! but he did sadly pass away last month due to age he was 3 1/2 years old :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.