Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The whole reason that I got my own betta fish is because my boss asked me to betta-sit for her over the summer. My boss has a VT male in a gallon vase along with some marbles and a plastic plant. When I got my betta, I obviously did a lot of research on here and got a filtered, heated tank (1.5 gallons. I know it's a bit small but I am looking into getting him a 5 gallon tank.)

I want to encourage my boss to purchase a tank for her betta (or, if I have to, I might try to at least give her my 1.5 gallon. I know that it's not ideal, but it HAS to be better than the vase.)

I'm afraid that she likes the vase because it "looks pretty." :-(

I just need a bit of advice on how to talk to her about upgrading to a tank. She has had her fish for a lot longer than I have had mine. I know that this isn't her first fish, because she told me before she left that if he died, she wouldn't be getting another.

SO-how should I talk to her about getting a filtered, heated tank for her betta.

Also-besides frequent water changes, what can I personally do for her betta while she is away to make his life as good as possible? I don't want to put him in a tank just for him to go back into the vase at the end of summer.

Thanks in advance for all of your help :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
just let her know about all the research you had done and give her some tips. You do have her little guys best interest at heart so I dont think she would be offended by it. Giving her your 1.5 gallon is a very nice gesture:)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 1.5 gallon in my opinion. You could show her pics from here and prove to her that a fish tank can be just as pretty :) There are some lovely smaller tanks on here in some of the pic threads.
I think your doing fine by what you are doing now.
EDIT: Nothing wrong with them as long as the proper water changes are done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up buying a 1gal tank for her fish. It's not filtered, but I did buy a heater for it. It had an air pump, but it put out way too many bubbles for the fish. He seems to be a lot happier in this setup. It has a lot of open swimming room and two silk plants for him to hide behind. He is a LOT more active than he was in the vase.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was a very kind thing you did. I'm glad the betta is happy in his new place. How did your boss respond to the new tank?
Well, I won't see her until August...I am watching her fish for the whole summer.

So, at least I have until then to figure out what to say to her. Haha.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I am so glad that I put him into a tank with a light. The light helped me too see that he has fin rot. :/

He is now having 100% water changes with AQ salt and stress coat. He is already looking better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh no! poor baby, what a lucky fish to have you as a sitter,he will be much happier and healthier when his owner comes to pick him up:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts